Safest Battery Type for Kids Toys

Hi All,

I am currently building some prototype interactive kids’ toys as part of a university research project looking at “active play” and was hoping to get some general advice about the most appropriate battery type from a safety perspective and recommendations for good resources to read if anyone could recommend some reliable sources? (I’m having trouble finding the relevant standards regarding battery-operated kid’s toys, there’s a lot of info in coin cell but not LiPo from the ACCC).

I am currently using a LiPo 3.7V 2000mAh (model: 585460, the pouch style) supplied by core electronics for development and testing purposes running into an Adafruit Adalogger, but wanted to know if there might be a better option moving forward. I know a lot of kids’ toys use NiMH AA-style batteries in a secured compartment, for example.

If I went to the NiMH battery, is there a suitable way to recharge them without removing them from the device?

Also, I should be clear I’m not looking for any sort of “legal advice” just recommendations or directions to reliable sources of information. These devices are not intended for sale to the general public and are for use under parental supervision, however, I am very conscious of identifying potential safety risks.

Thanks in advance.
Best,
James

2 Likes

Hi James,

I think you’ve nailed it with NiMH batteries, from research NiMH’s are a lot easier to recharge that LiPo’s:

AA/AAA alkaline cells are also readily available and have a low self-discharge

4 Likes

Hey Liam,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly and sending through some links; greatly appreciated.
I’ll have a read-through these; the more I research the more concerns I have about LiPo’s in a prototype for kids.

Best,
James

3 Likes

Are all these batteries safe? I mean, for kids, designers must be extra cautious. Sometimes we hear about firing hazards caused by batteries in toys. Can we depend on your suggestions?

Hi Rooppoor,

A lot of things in isolation are inherently not safe (batteries, climbing a tree, small parts that arent designed well, ect ect), thats why designers and enginners have to first do their due diligence when making a product and at the same time ensure that it meets any standards.

I wouldnt solely depend on any single persons suggestions - just sharing some ideas as to what might be a good option.

3 Likes

Hi James,

You’re definitely on the money by avoiding LiPos, they fail in the most violent manner of all the battery chemistries.

NiMH is a great choice if you want something rechargeable, I know you’re after something that can be charged in the device, perhaps over USB, but it would simplify things greatly if you went with individual AA cells:

Off-the-shelf chargers are readily available for them:

And battery packs that can be secured with a screw are available in different sizes for different voltages:

Let us know what you think, or if we need to look outside this box.
-James

3 Likes

Hey James,

So I have convinced the leads for the project that a NiMH battery in the AA cell style is the way to go.

Thank you to everyone that responded for the advice and information; it was very helpful in putting together my argument. The project lead really wanted internal charging; however, I think this avenue is the best option from a safety perspective, and they have been very receptive to this.

Internal charging would have been ideal from a “user perspective”; however, I have recommended external charging for simplicity; thanks for the recommendation of charger models; that’s a very reasonable price.

Thanks again.

Best,
James

3 Likes