Sound Responsive Infinity Mirror

Hi everyone!

I’m completely new to electronics and have just built Core Electronics’ Infinity Mirror V2 (Great kit and tutorial videos, I enjoyed making it!). I have a basic proficiency with programming and have been playing around with customisable modes.

I think it would be really cool to make the mirror somewhat responsive to sound, or in particular, to music. This may involve things such as:

• Amplitude affecting the brightness within a mode
  • Tempo affecting speed/delay within a mode
  • Amplitude/tempo actually changing modes for you
  • Etc.

Can anyone recommend a general method, and/or a microphone/sensor to do this?

The mirror uses an Adafruit Trinket 5V, as well as a potentiometer to select different light modes.

Cheers,
Andy

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for dropping by and great work with the Infinity Mirror! I tried my best to answer your question in our live video yesterday, here’s my advice for customising stuff:

Hi Graham,

Thanks mate, appreciated the video and the information you shared!

I just had one more question if that’s okay – I need a little more understanding about the hardware components of this modification.

Do I purchase a VU meter/spectrometer or similar, and then solder it up to the Adafruit trinket in a particular way, and then the values will be readable after some particular coding and package installing? (I should be able to research this software aspect of it)

Cheers,
Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks!

You could use something like this, which is a nifty little chip:

Which outputs a digital signal with pulse lengths that represent the amplitude of each band (by default, 63Hz, 160Hz, 400Hz, 1kHz, 2.5kHz, 6.25kHz and 16kHz). Here are a couple of pictures from the datasheet:

Besides each band, the sum of all of them would represent something similar to total loudness/volume.

I hope that helps!