TFMini - Micro LiDAR Module (Qwiic) (SEN-14786)

This is a placeholder topic for “TFMini - Micro LiDAR Module (Qwiic)” comments.

The TFMini is a ToF (Time of Flight) LiDAR sensor capable of measuring the distance to an object as close as 30 centimeters and as far as 12 meters! As with all … read more

Read more

Why is the TFmini- micro LiDAR Module (Qwiic) cheaper than the one without the Qwiic? I dont want the qwiic connector, but Ill buy the cheaper one. Is there something the regular one has that the Qwiic one doesnt?

Hi Harry,

It looks like the same sensor. These are all manufactured by Sparkfun, perhaps they are trying to get the Qwiic sensors out there more :slight_smile:

A post was split to a new topic: TFMini - Micro LiDAR Module - Issue

I’m not sure if this is the right thread for the TFMini-S.
I got mine last week. It seems to work very well. I’m impressed by the narrow beam and the accuracy - a nice little unit.
Although it works well, the chip heats up to 55 degrees over several minutes of operation, then stays at that temp. The ambient temperature is 26 degrees and I’ve got it running on single trigger mode taking a reading every 200mS. On the instruction sheet, the manufacture says that the operating temperature range is 0-60 degrees celcius. Is this the ambient, or the chip temperature? If it’s the ambient, what chip temperature could I expect on a hot day, say 35 or even 40 degrees?

Hey John,

That’s a very interesting question. According to the ratings it will operate between 0C and 60C so you should be able to run the Lidar on hot days, I’m not entirely sure what the chip temperature will reach, but if that becomes a concern it’d be easy enough to add some heatsink/s assuming you’ve got clearance. If there’s anything else that I can do for you please let me know!

Bryce
Core Electronics | Support

Thanks Bryce. Oddly, I tried it again yesterday and the chip temperature didn’t go above 29 degrees after an hour with a similar ambient temperature and the same software and MCU (an ESP32). The board felt cooler as well.

1 Like

Hey John,

Glad to hear it, let us know if you run into any further issues with it at support@coreelectronics.com.au . There’s a chance they may have been some internal shorting causing that heating.

Bryce
Core Electronics | Support