Triple Axis Magnetometer Breakout - MAG3110 (SEN-12670)

This is a placeholder topic for “Triple Axis Magnetometer Breakout - MAG3110” comments.

Freescale’s MAG3110 is a small, low-power, digital 3-axis magnetometer. The device can be used in conjunction with a 3-axis accelerometer to produce orientation independent accurate compass heading information. It features a standard I2C serial interface output and smart embedded functions. It’s also a tiny QFN package which isn’t very easy to play with so here is our easy to use breakout board. This board breaks out all of the pins for the MAG3110 to a standard 0.1" header and also supplies the necessary filtering capacitors so that you can easily use it in your next navigation project.

Read more

Hi,

I need to use a compass to hold a certain heading but I’m in a confined space and the module will be about 50mm away from the drive motor (a tamiya/mabuchi 180 size).

Am I correct in assuming that the motor will interfere with the compass’ function?

Hi Ashley,

You may find that the motor interferes with the compass. 50mm might be enough though for this to still work. I can only speculate about how strong the motors generated magnetic field will be at that distance.

I’ve tested it today and it needs to be right up close to give interference.

I’m going to make a faraday cage bulkhead for the motor anyway, just to be safe

1 Like