TTN LoRaWAN Gateway in Wallsend

There's a new TTN gateway with external antenna fitted high and proud in Wallsend, hosted by a long-term community member Dave W. We've just finished some TTN Mapping and the results are looking great.

If you are new to TTN / LoRaWAN (free wireless internet for your projects!) then take a look at our guides or drop by for a workshop.

The hills north of this gateway location are significant enough to block reception of the 26M tall Antenna located in Mayfield West. Newcastle has geo-constraints for LoRaWAN coverage in almost every direction, and it's refreshing to see this level of community support to fill the gaps.

Fun fact: During this mapping activity, I landed a rogue response from a gateway located 35.9 KM away. Impressive!

Record LoRaWAN Distance

There are still several gaps around the city, and we'd like to help! If you know anyone that would be OK with an external antenna mounted 1-2 meters above roof height in any of these areas circled below, then get in touch with us (we'll cover the hardware costs).

This blog can also be viewed here
1 Like

Hi Graham, I rent a house in Cameron Park and wont mind setting up one of these at my place if you are looking for a temporary solution (i.e. till i am in this house).

Regards,
Prashant

Hi Prashant,

Thanks we’ll keep that in mind! Though we are seeking installations that are going to be around for a while - it’s not a cheap outlay on our side.

Hi Graham,

I live in Wallsend near the Wallsend Community Health Centre and am happy if you want to put one on my roof.

Sam

Hello,
I am witin the Cameron Park circle.
I own my own house and have already fitted many things to my roof.
I bought 8 raspberry pi’s recently from Core electronics to use as nodes for another project.
I’d be happy to help with this.

I also have a pretty flat roof with decent line of sight. Cameron%20Park%20roof

1 Like

Hi @sam76464 & @Daniel72693, sounds great! Let’s keep the conversation going via email: can you shoot a message through to support at coreelectronics.com.au with the subject line “Attn Graham”. Cheers!

1 Like

I have emailed you. Let me know if you don’t recieve it.

1 Like