Simple Lorawan gateway

Hi all,

I’ve recently installed a Lorawan module on my boat to monitor the battery levels remotely. While it does work to some extent, it turns out that between when I bought it and when I installed it, one of the nearby gateways has shutdown, so I’m getting very little coverage (apparently about -115db of signal strength).

I’m looking for a simple, low cost gateway that I could install nearby. It could be indoor with power, ethernet & wifi, so I was imagining something fairly plug & play. I do have an arduino board (that I’m not particularly proficient with) if that’s any help. Based in the Inner West of Sydney.

Cheers,

Ray

3 Likes

Hi Ray,

Welcome to the forum!!

That’s an interesting module/sensor!

Just before you jump into getting your own gateway I’d check if you can move piggy-back off of another gateway by moving it a bit if possible - check out TTNmapper to see the logged coverage of gateways around you.

With the recent migration to The Things Stack (TTS or TTNv3) to remove single-channel gateways so that unfortunately removes the cheaper options.
At the moment I’d say the cheapest option would be a PyGate with a WiPy onboard.
There is a bit of setup involved so I’d take a look at Pycom’s documentation:

We’re keen to see how you go!
Liam

2 Likes

Thanks Liam,

Sadly I can’t move it as the boat is sitting on a mooring whose position is determined by the government, not me! The only plus is that my sailing club is maybe 100 metres away, so I do have somewhere to install a gateway that I shouldn’t imagine needs to be too powerful.

I’ll have a look into the docos you linked to see if I can make some more sense of it all.

3 Likes