Ultrasonic algae control

Hello gurus, I need some advise on “ultrasonic algae control”. I understand that one needs a “function generator” either sine or square wave, which I have got, it can produce sine waves of up to 200Khz, which is needed.
Frequency 1 should vary between 24 Khz to 58Khz and
Frequency 2 should vary between 195 Khz to 205 Khz

What I need is an electronic water proof transducer that can handle those frequencies. Ebay is not able to supply those transducers.
BTW, I am building this “gizmo” for one reason only: To convince sParks Victoria and DELWP that those “ultrasonic” devices work and clean up Blue Green Algae (BGA) in our lakes and waterways.
I have set up a test in my backyard with contaminated BGA, I just need a suitable transducer.

If I can convince the powers that be, sParksVictoria and DELWP, they can purchase those BGA killers commercially. I am ONLY interested to convince those Departments to spend the necessary money.

Any help greatly appreciated
Frank

Hi Frank,

That’s quite a project that you have on your hands!

I’m not sure where you could get ultrasonic transducers, that sounds like some specialized equipment! Best of luck with your search!

Hi Stephen, Where there is a will…
Is there anything that you know of, that can perhaps be substituted? Maybe an ultrasonic transducer, maybe Surface Transducer - Large #### SKU: COM-10975.
Any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Frank

Hi Frank,

I’m not aware of any ultrasonic-transducers. The Large Surface Transducer has a maximum output of 20Khz, so it’s definitely not suitable. All the transducers we have are for frequencies in the audible range only.

You also need to consider the power level required and will almost certainly need a purpose-built transducer and an amplifier to push the waves through a lake. There are kits with similar equipment that help prevent the fouling of boat hulls.

1 Like

Hi Stephen and Lindsay,
Thanks for your suggestions, I only wanted something small to perform a test in a 100 liter plastic container to test the theory. I also used the same size container with the same water as a “control”.
After 1 week of running the test, the color (turbidity) in the test-container was definitely better, also certified by other people that had no knowledge of what I was doing. So, I’d call my test a success.

To clean up the lake itself does take a hi-performance system (or 5), so it will take the powers that be to finance/install those BGA killers. There is always the chance that “something else” did the job of cleaning, but the “control” was right next to the test and both were subject to the same conditions.
Thanks for your suggestions and help.
Cheers
Frank

Hi Frank,

Would the noise/vibration cause by the transducer not kill/disrupt other wildlife in the water? Fish are sensitive to noise and vibration, and often use these senses to hunt or avoid predators.

1 Like