Sculptural/art project. Help needed with surface tranducers and amplifiers

Hi, I am currently working on a new project for an upcoming art exhibition. This sound equipment is very new to me so I am apologising for my lack of knowledge right now. I am hoping to record sounds from the environment and have them vibrate through a sheet of glass (around the size of a kitchen table). I mostly interested in the vibration effect through the glass but would also like an option to listen to the sound through a set of headphones. I am looking at using a surface transducer and amplifier to achieve the vibration effect. Is it actually possible to isolate off the sound through a set of headphones so that the work is focused on vibration from the sound recording???

If I am to purchase a Large Surface Transducer with Wires - 4 Ohm 5 Watt or Medium Surface Transducer with Wires - 4 Ohm 3 Watt with a Stereo 2.1W Class D Audio Amplifier - TPA2012 what other equipment will I need to set it up? I have watched a few tutorials so far but I cant find one which shows how to actually connect the parts. Also how do you input the the power and sound source?? What do you need here. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Joe (amateur and beginner)

First thought I had is safety. Glass has a resonant frequency, if the transducer hits this frequency or a harmonic the glass will shatter. A visual of this, is the opera singer who can shatter a wine glass if the right note and pitch is sung.
Is it actually possible to isolate off the sound through a set of headphones so that the work is focused on vibration from the sound recording??? Yes, headphones require little power to operate.

what other equipment will I need to set it up? You need a 5V power supply 1 to 2 Amps, a microphone and microphone amplifier. The output of the mic amp can be used to driver the TPA2012 and headphones.

The next part of this is to source a suitable microphone, microphone amplifier and power supply. Connecting the parts together is not hard.

Best of luck
Jim

Thanks for your advice Jim. Thinking I’ll use Perspex now instead of glass. It’s an experimental work so I’m really not sure how it’s going to perform at this stage.

I’ve bought the following products which should arrive over the next couple of days. So to isolate the sound off through a set of headphones do I need to purchase any other equipment apart from a jack splitter?

Large Surface Transducer with Wires - 4 Ohm 5 Watt
ADA1784
$35.91
Stereo 20W Class D Audio Amplifier - MAX9744
ADA1752
$40.93
5V DC 2A Fixed 2.1mm Tip Appliance Plugpack

Hey Joe,

I believe we spoke over the phone about this last week sometime.

Just to clarify, were you hoping to record sounds that would immediately be played? Or were you playing pre-recorded sounds from an audio device?

If it’s just the latter then from our conversation you should only need the splitter, if it was the former then you will need a microphone that can be easily interfaced with the amplifier you have purchased.

If you use a jack splitter like that below. The male end would plug into the audio jack of a device like a mobile phone or tablet with audio recordings on it. One of the female ends you connect your headphones, the other you would need a cable similar to that below to connect to the amplifier.
Cheers
Jim
(Core Electronics Customer)

Thanks Owen for responding to my email. I’ll be using pre recorded sounds so that’s great news.

I’m looking forward to receiving and playing with my purchases.

Kind regards

Jo