Wheelchair joystick to PC hack

Ive just purchased a new joystick for my wheelchair. It can be programmed from pc with a bluetooth access key that plugs into joystick. Problem is they’re $500+ and i just blew all my cash on the joystick. The access key has a 3 pin xlr plug. Could i just run a xlr to usb cable from joystick to pc? Any ideas?

Hi Steve,

Can you link the joystick - tech data etc?

Sorry Graham i’m not to tech savvie, not sure what you mean. It’s my understanding you plug in access key to joystick then find it on pc via bluetooth. There is a downloadable program that you open and then do a bluetooth search to locate joystick.From there you can alter parameters. I thought i might be able to just run cable from pc to joystick and do the same.

Hey steve, Could you link the joystick module you are referring to?

Not sure Aidan. This is the access key that plugs to joystick to change parameters.
http://dynamiccontrols.com/en/mobility-product-users/products/linx-le/linx-programming-2
Due to price i want to know if it would be possible to link joystick and pc with cable and have the same affect as access key.

1 Like

Ahh I am beginning to get the idea. You are looking to create your own way of communicating between your joystick and your PC using a simple XLR to USB cable.

Haha yeah that’s it exactly Aidan. Do you think it would be possible?

1 Like

I think it’s a great idea! Have you contact the manufacturer of the joystick to see if a driver/PC connection solution exists that they can help you out with?

I’m really interested to hear how you get on with this project Steve!