1.25mm Pitch 7-pin Cable 20cm long 1:N Cable - Molex PicoBlade Compatible (ADA4927)

This is a placeholder topic for “1.25mm Pitch 7-pin Cable 20cm long 1:N Cable - Molex PicoBlade Compatible” comments.

When 0.1" is too big, and JST PH’s too chunky, this ultra-slim 1.25mm connector cable is a reliable alternative. These are 1.25mm pitch but have a nice clicky connection.

Read more

1 Like

Hello

I am chasing a 7 pin female to female ribbon cable to replace a worn-out cable in a Logitech G29. I have measured the pin spacing and it seems to be about 2mm.

Would the 1.25mm spacing fit or do I need someone to make a 2mm spacing cable?

I can send through some photos of the existing cable and connection if necessary.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Hi Kieren,

Take a look at our guide on identifying electrical connectors, and see if the ones you have match up with any of them:

Pin pitch is very important. Even 2.5mm vs 2.54 will make a difference to the fit, especially on something with a high number of pins.

If you’ve measured it at 2mm, that’s likely a good filter on what connector they are.

Let us know once you’ve taken another look at it!
-James

2 Likes

Hi Kieren
James’ statement.

You should not have to do that. Adafruit should supply that information with the product specs. It should not be too difficult and can be quite important in this day and age with the vast number of different connectors of this general type around.

Core what about shaking them up. All you can do is publish a copy of what your supplier gives you but surely you have some leverage to demand more of the general information required. Some suppliers are OK but others are downright pitiful. Especially with these “breakout” boards with an IC and lots of other bits. There is no easy way to find out what all these bits do without a schematic, Pullups? filters? voltage regulators or converters? Sometimes you get the data sheet on the IC but that doesn’t tell much about the rest of it. I stress that some do provide this information but seem to be in the minority. Even a bit more detail about what is expected at the board connections would be a start.

Getting back to this cable. It obviously fits something but what?? Something Adafruit produce no doubt.
I just had another look at the provided link and at least Core linked to a Molex style which gives a clue.
Cheers Bob

3 Likes

Hi Robert,

Totally agree on documentation and datasheets being a cornerstone of a part’s value, worth pointing out though that Kieren has just commented on one of the connectors he found on our site, asking if it will fit his G29 keyboard. Since he measured the pitch of the connector on the keyboard as 2mm, this one would not be a good pick (or the right gender). Without more info on his connector, it’s hard to pick one out for him, that’s why our guide would be a good first stop for him to check against the connector in front of him (not the one we sell, that one is fairly clear on what it is - PicoBlade (or a clone))

-James

2 Likes

Hi James

That is the sort of thing I was getting at. It probably would be impossible for him to get that data about his keyboard too. I did not mean to leave the impression the problem is confined to Core’s suppliers, there are a lot more out there with very skimpy information. Particularly from a place which I will not mention by name.

Leaves nothing for it but to have a look at Cores guide or trawl Element 14 or RS components to find his type. These sites have pretty good filtering which narrows down the possibilities somewhat. Without this you could spend days searching.
Cheers Bob

3 Likes

Hi James

I’ve had a look at the guide you sent me I think the connectors I have are JST PH type. I have attached some photos of the wire and connector for reference. Logitech haven’t specified any sort of details so I’m a little in the dark but a few guys have replaced these wires with a 7 pin 28 AWG ribbon cable about 340mm long, so it’s roughly what I’m looking for.

Cheers
Kieren

3 Likes

Hi Kieren,

This is likely what you’re after then: Ribbon Cable - 10 wire (3ft) | Sparkfun CAB-10649 | Core Electronics Australia
Unfortunately, it’s currently out of stock, so you may have to go for a longer one and find a use for the rest:
Ribbon Cable - 10 wire (15ft) | Sparkfun CAB-10647 | Core Electronics Australia

-James

1 Like

Hi James

Thanks for getting back to me. Do you have any wire with the connectors I need already attached? I don’t have any equipment available to be able to attach the connectors myself. Alternatively, would you be able to show me the crimping tool I need to be able to attach the connectors if I do need to do it myself.

Thanks for your help.
Kieren

1 Like

Hi Kieren,

Ahh, I thought you might ask that, If you’re sure it’s JST PH, Element14 carry the parts you’re after (and a bunch of other JST bits):
You’ll need a housing (or a few, just to be safe):

And some contacts to stick in it and crimp onto your wires:

We have a guide on crimping to get you started, but it mainly focuses on DuPont connectors rather than JSTs. The process is basically the same, but if you’re not sure, YouTube is your friend there:

My favourite crimping tool for this kind of thing is the Engineer PA-09. You may be able to go with something cheaper if you don’t expect to be doing any more crimping down the line:

Lemme know if you need any more info!
-James

1 Like

OK thank you James, you’ve been a big help. I let you know if I run into any issues.

Kieren

2 Likes