2005 LED desk light design fault repair/remod

Hi All,
I recently bought a brand new in the box, never opened a 2005 LED desk light called Halley designed by Richard Sapper for Lucesco. They stopped making them in 2006/7 due to an inherent fault whereby a bank of the LED’s stopped working. These were the first LED desk lights made in 2005, and I guess the electronics / technology then was more complicated than necessary. I am hoping to find the answer to the problem OR a simple way of modifying the entire electronics with the current technology. I bought two, one in the box still and one being used…and failing.

These were an iconic light and won awards for their design at the time.
They are driven off a 24 volt power brick and have a 5 volt fan in the head to cool the LED’s.

I have read in another forum of the possible problem/s but I know nothing of electronics so I think maybe there is a simple modification using the existing LED’s ( or repair - I dont know what is causing the problem.) this happened to nearly all of them. I will post up photos of the PCB board and its components
and a link to another forum, hopefully someone can shed some lgiht on the inherent problem and way to fix it. These days of course a panel of LED’s and a 12v supply and a dimmer is pretty basic.

This a link to BadCaps where they discuss the potential problem.
Why does it need all this electronics?

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28855

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Simon Frank

The black square on the left is the power socket the one on the right is the on/off/dimmer

1 Like

For that option the device you need looks something like this:
Constant Current 350mA | LED Accessories | Lamp Replacements Australia

The specification that is important is the current the LED array is built for (350mA in this example) and the wattage of the array (9 to 15 W in this example). Pretty much any combination is available from multiple sources. Whether or not this option is possible depends on the wiring of the LED array. If they are wired in series (either one or two banks) then it should be possible to work out a suitable drive current and voltage, but if there is some form of current control already on the LED board then it becomes more complex.

1 Like

Hi Jeff, thanks, thats the sort of idea I had in mind, by pass all the electronic stuff that’s failing and go direct from a power source to the LED’s. there is two LED circuits and I guess they are in parallel. But I would need to add a on/off/dimmer in somewhere. I just don’t know what volt/amp/watt range that these LED’s need to operate. But I would need a small voltage reducer to 5 Volts for the fan, although if the voltage is low enough maybe they don’t need cooling.