3-pin LiPo Battery for PiJuice 20000mAh (CE06799)

This is a placeholder topic for “3-pin LiPo Battery for PiJuice 20000mAh” comments.

20000mAh Lithium-Ion battery that can be used with PiJuice.

Read more

2 Likes

Is this battery single cell or twin cell?

1 Like

Hey Blake,

This is 1S2P, it has an output voltage of 3.7V although if you search 1165113-2P listed on the front of the battery, you’ll notice the 2P infers that this is a two-cell LiPo with the two cells being in parallel so the output voltage is still 3.7V, but with twice the capacity which usually means that the battery is able to kick out more current at any point in time and has greater capacity than a 1S1P.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

3 Likes

I do have further questions… it says that this battery is compatible with the pijuice… but the pijuice is not capable of handing a twin cell battery. Is this correct?

3 Likes

That is correct, but when the PiJuice says twin cell, that refers to 2S batteries.

This has two cells, but they’re in parallel, so the voltage output is the same as a 1S1P so you can use it with a PiJuice without any issues. Did you have any other questions?

3 Likes

No that was all… and thank you

2 Likes

You’re welcome Blake,

Thanks for asking, hopefully this will help out someone else in future with similar questions. Enjoy your weekend!

3 Likes

Hi CE,

Where can I find the Discharge Rating of this and the other batteries in this product range?
Aka the C value, as I would like to know how many amps this battery can output to know if it could be used to handle a large number of (or one giant) servo.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi Philip,

Welcome to the forum!!

I havent done any testing with these ones, I’d say the limiting factor is the gauge of the wires.
We’ll do some more testing and get back to you!
How much current were you looking to source from the battery?

Liam.

1 Like

Thanks Liam,

I think I found my answer, over on a similar item “Polymer Lithium Ion Battery (LiPo) 3.7V 6000mAh” it is mentioned that the wiring is only rated for 1A draw. So I am assuming the same would be true here (and in fact, of all the LiPo listings?)

I was hoping to get 10A, as I wish to run a number of standard servo’s which I understand can peak at 1A each. I might look into RC Hobby style battery packs as they allow high draw, but that leaves me having to solve safety issues, I liked that this LiPo has built-in safety so I had hoped to be able to use it -.-

I also have another project with only 2 servos, so in that case I would only need 2A, would running two batteries in parallel be an acceptable way of achieving that?

3 Likes

Hi Phillip,

I wouldn’t expect more than a 1 Amp discharge rate from any of the LiPos on our site as they intended to be low-power batteries with varying capacities, not high-performance cells like what you’d use in an RC vehicle.

I’ve heard this proposed a few times with plenty of anecdotal answers as to why it’s either fine or a really bad idea so I’ve done some research. Adafruit have a great explainer that goes over why it seems like it should work intuitively but is can be quite dangerous in practice. The non-ideal nature of the battery packs means that a mismatch in internal resistance can result in one pack discharging into the other and causing damage or a fire.

If you need a 3.7V LiPo battery to deliver more than 1A continuously I’d recommend a battery designed for RC from somewhere like HobbyKing.

3 Likes

I see.
Thank you very much for all that information Trent!

2 Likes