5V COB LED Strip Light - White (FIT0875)

This is a placeholder topic for “5V COB LED Strip Light - White” comments.

This kind of COB LED strip consists of 16 LEDs and its surface adopts LED silicone encapsulation for protecting the chips and maintaining a longer service…

Read more

hi, how hot do these get? i’ve never seen led strips that require a heatsink?
Do you have any other options that dont get as hot? looking for a similar sized 5v strip.

Thanks

Hi Darrell,

IME, it’s all about density and the brightness you want. Less dense strips may be able to get away without a heatsink, but dense strips (I’ve used 144/m and found them to get uncomfortably hot without a heatsink) will need something to sink heat into. COBs are about as dense as you can get.

If you limit the current to it with PWM or a CC power supply, you may be able to get away without a heatsink.

Keep in mind that it’s usually enough just to sink heat into something, it doesn’t need to be aluminium. I 3D printed mounting brackets for some strips and found them to be the difference between hot and warm strips.

1 Like

What about the power supply? Will 5V, 2A DC adapters work?

1 Like

Hi Rooppoor,

Yes a 2A supply will work and be overkill! This device only needs 300mA so a 1A will work as well

Thank you. Is there a compatible power supply in your shop?

1 Like

Hi Rooppoor,

Given there aren’t arent any connectors on the COB strip some soldering will be required. Any 5v supply like the Raspberry Pi ones would work perfectly and be cost effective.
(I personally define a compatible supply as one that not only has the correct voltage but also the same connector, in which case some modifications are required)

Hi,

Is there a connector that these 5V Strip are compatible with. They are quite difficult to solder.

Thanks

LED Strip Connectors exist, though they won’t clamp down over a PCB such as this. Soldering would be the best way to go and should be straightforward all going well.

Ensure the attaching wire is pre-tinned and well-prepared. Create a small solder pillow on the pad. Then in a third step, head the solder pad and the pre-tinned wire with the soldering iron tip at the same time. They’ll form a filltet quickly.

It’s best if the PCB is in a small vice or under something that can’t move. Always keep the variables matched to the number of hands you have!

2 Likes