Adafruit 64x32 RGB LED Display throwing horizontal lines when using 'rpi-rgb-led-matrix' library

Hardware

Raspberry Pi Zero WH
Adafruit Bonnet
1 x Adafruit RGB LED Matrix (64x32 2.5mm Pitch)

OS

Raspbian Lite

Issue

Horizontal white/pink lines are displayed across the screen instead of hello world text when using runtext.py. Issue also occurs with other examples. Command I’m running is
sudo python3 runtext.py --led-gpio-mapping=adafruit-hat --led-cols=64 --led-rows=32
Same issue occurs with python2.7

dtparam=audio=on has been altered to dtparam=audio=off in /boot/config.txt

Also played around with row address types and multiplex options on the GitHub - hzeller/rpi-rgb-led-matrix: Controlling up to three chains of 64x64, 32x32, 16x32 or similar RGB LED displays using Raspberry Pi GPIO troubleshooting page. I’ve raised a github ticket with hzeller (Horizontal white/pink lines displayed across matrix instead of text · Issue #1345 · hzeller/rpi-rgb-led-matrix · GitHub) but just wondering is it possible that the hat/bonnet or led matrix is faulty? I did work the very first time when using the below command but hasn’t worked since,

sudo python3 runtext.py --led-gpio-mapping=adafruit-hat --led-cols=64 --led-rows=32

4 Likes

Hi Naveen,

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:
That’s a pretty in-depth library involving some hardware modifications to the original board so I’m not sure what would cause your issue. I can see the library author has responded to you via your Github issue so hopefully they can pinpoint what is causing the weird lines.
If it does turn out to be faulty hardware we can look at getting that one replaced for you under warranty.

3 Likes

Hi @Trent5487676
I’m still having no luck with the display even using the example code. I’ve made no hardware modifications since I’ve got the adafruit matrix bonnet, so it’s essentially plug and play. Is there any chance I can look at getting a replacement? Thanks.

1 Like

Hi Naveen,

Before we go for a return, we might be able to save the hassle of posting it back. Here’s a checklist to run through:

• How are you powering your setup? (You’ll need at least 4A @ 5V available for the display), and you should have a separate supply for your Pi via the Micro USB power input.
  • How’s your soldering? Have you made sure there are no accidental bridges or cold joints? (Some close-ups of the solder joints would be good - it’s always nice to have a second pair of eyes run over it).
  • Is your IDC connector installed in the correct orientation?
  • Have you accidentally got any solder on the 64x64 selection pads? (Again, some close-up photos would be good).
  • Is your terminal connector solidly soldered, and are your LED Matrix power cables solidly connected to it?
  • Have you tried a fresh install of Raspberry Pi OS, before running the installation scripts:
    Driving Matrices | Adafruit RGB Matrix + Real Time Clock HAT for Raspberry Pi | Adafruit Learning System
curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/adafruit/Raspberry-Pi-Installer-Scripts/master/rgb-matrix.sh >rgb-matrix.sh
sudo bash rgb-matrix.sh

The installer creates a directory called rpi-rgb-led-matrix , and inside this is a subdirectory examples-api-use with a few programs we can use to experiment with the matrix and confirm everything’s working.
Here’s how to run one of the examples — a rotating colored square. Because this code is performing low-level hardware operations, it must be run using the sudo command:
sudo ./demo -D0 --led-rows=32 --led-cols=64 --led-slowdown-gpio=0

Hopefully these steps get you sorted - if not, and your soldering’s all good, it might be time to explore an RMA.

2 Likes

Hi Oliver,

Yes, I’m using a 4A 5V power supply and another micro usb power supply for the pi zero.
As I mentioned before, there has been no soldering modifications made. The setup is a pi zero with pre soldered pins which the adafruit bonnet sits on, the 4A 5V power supply connects into the bonnet along with the data cable which goes into the matrix display. There is then power from the matrix display to the bonnet (red/black cables). I’ll attach a picture on the hzeller github issues I raised if you want to check that out.

Yes, I think I’ve re-installed raspbian 4 times :smiley: along with trying DietPi but still same issues. Yes, I’ve tried running the demo in hzellers git repo as you can see in my last comment on the issues I raised with him.

I did try the demo from the adafruit repo however that is also showing the same issues with ‘convenience’ option selected as I’ve done no soldering. All my raspberry pi’s are running at their default clock speed, no overclocking done. I’ve also tested all this on a older raspberry pi 3 model b (pre soldered pins) but same issues occur.

3 Likes

Hi Naveen,

Ok, thanks for confirming. Sounds to me like it’s time for an RMA! Just send us a link to this forum thread by replying to your order confirmation email (or any email we’ve sent you and include your order details) and we’ll get this sorted.

Re the soldering, sorry my mistake, I thought you were using the HAT instead of the Bonnet for some reason.

3 Likes

Thanks @Oliver - that’s been done now. Is it worth completing an RMA for both the matrix and bonnet just to be sure?

Appreciate your help.

2 Likes

Hi Naveen,

Yep, I’d recommend returning both - since you don’t have a spare Bonnet to test with it’s hard to tell whether it’s a faulty matrix or bonnet.

1 Like