Adafruit Feather nRF52840 Express (ADA4062)

This is a placeholder topic for “Adafruit Feather nRF52840 Express” comments.

The Adafruit Feather nRF52840 Express is the new Feather family member with Bluetooth Low Energy and native USB support featuring the nRF52840! It’s Adafruit’s take on…

Read more

Has anyone tried this board with Segger Embedded Studio?
Specifically, does it support proper source level debug for bare metal C?
TIA

Hi Kris,

I haven’t used that combination exactly, but I have done bare-metal Cortex programming (ST stuff) before. Looks like this board has an SWD connector, which means you can program the Cortex-M4 directly, overwriting the UF2 bootloader. I use OpenOCD for my debugging so I’m not sure what’s involved with SES, but SWD has been all I’ve needed to do breakpoints and such in the past.

Thanks James.
Indeed, I don’t see any reason either, but you never know :slight_smile:
Guess I’ll have to get 2 “feathers” and try it out.
I’m partial to SES because I used to use Crossworks for ARM/MSP430/AVR a lot (I did beta testing on it years ago), and SES is a cut down version of it.
Do you run OpenOCD through Eclipse? Personally not so fond of that stuff, but maybe I should try again one day, perhaps things got better… :slight_smile:

Hi Kris,

Do let us know if you have trouble, it’s a bit outside the maker sphere, but there are a few people I can think of here that have delved into bare metal stuff before.

I actually write C++ in VSCodium, and keep a terminal window open to run make flash which compiles the code with the ARM cross toolchain and flashes it to the board. Learnt this and mostly copied the makefile from the excellent Vivonomicon blog: “Bare Metal” STM32 Programming (Part 1): Hello, ARM! – Vivonomicon's Blog