Adafruit PowerBoost 1000 Charger - Rechargeable 5V Lipo USB Boost @ 1A - 1000C PRODUCT ID: 2465

Hello, I will be ordering the following item and am intending to use it in a portable project I am developing.

Adafruit PowerBoost 1000 Charger - Rechargeable 5V Lipo USB Boost @ 1A - 1000C PRODUCT ID: 2465

I am however dealing with very tight spaces and in an effort o reduce this compact little board even further I would like to remove the JST connector that connect to the battery then solder on two wires for battery connection via an in line JST/Dupont type connector.
Before I buy the board I am wondering if there are any special considerations I should be aware of or if it is simply a matter of connecting to the two pins the current JST is using. I imagine it is that simple but thought I might ask just in case.
Thank you in advance for any replies.

Hey Leslie,

Yes, it is that simple. You’ll just want to be careful not to burn the traces behind the solder pads, or accidentally bridge the connection. Also, be sure to use a multimeter to ensure that all of the connections are the same before and after your soldering to make sure that you don’t accidentally short a battery (it’s usually good practice to charge your batteries in a fireproof container just in case :smile:)

Thanks Bryce and thank you for the heads up on the pitfalls of the process. Soldering to small PCB is not always to be taken on lightly but in this case the rewards of space saving are what I need. I am concerned though when you say about fireproof enclosures for the battery. In my design the 3.7v LIPO will be in a PETG Printed tube inside a turned wood lamp base. The battery will remain in the base and just be recharged while in place so not really fireproof and cant see how to make it so. I will be drawing ~350mA at max current and obviously 5V to light a Cree LED so fairly small loads. I have read a lot on LIPO and while they are known to catch fire I think it is unlikely if the battery is not overstressed or am I wrong?
Also with this board is the power out only able to switched via a separate on/off switch? Nothing in the board that allows switching it on/off. As mentioned above I will be powering an LED and will need to turn it off/on as needed and because the battery needs to be connected at alll times I obviously cant switch that - not even sure why I would want to:-)
Les

Edit: Just found the Pin Outs datasheet and can see there is a Disable/Enable Pin (En) so yes there is an on board switch I believe. Just a bit naive in this area so I think all I have to do to turn off the output is connect this pin to grd via a switch and I assume leave it connected to grd until I want the LED on then I send it high by disconnecting the ground connection and the output comes on?? Maybe you can recommend a suitable micro switch for this job?