Arduino / C libraries for GlowBit 8x8 LED matrix

Hi,

I recently bought the Glowbit 8x8, and since I’m not really a python guy, was hoping you could point me to some Arduino / C compatible libraries that might work with this LED matrix?

Thanks,
Richard

3 Likes

Hi Richard,

Welcome to the forum!!

A coulple of libraries that I have used in the past are the FastLED Library or Adafruits Neopixel library.

To map out the matrix you could run with the matrix extention on the Adafruit library or write your own functions to map all of the ‘addresses’ to the respective locations on the Glowbit.
I’m keen to see what you make!

2 Likes

Hi Richard,

Welcome :slight_smile:
I’d agree with @Liam120347 here I’ve used FastLED for a few basic projects but I understand it supports matrix arrays well and is regularly maintained.
Adafruit libraries will also have the benefit of being quite well documented.

3 Likes

The LED addressing is identical between the GlowBit 8x8 matrix and Adafruit’s matrix, so it ought to be directly compatible with all Adafruit examples! We were careful to keep compatibility, but sprinkle in a few quality-of-life features of our own. Best of luck @Richard90679! We’d love for you to share what you make with GlowBit as you go :smiley:

5 Likes

Thanks Michael. I did try an Adafruit library but didnt get the results I expected, but quite possible I did something wrong.

Managed to do what i needed with some FastLED hackery, which is sufficing for now, but will revisit Adafruit and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the help!

5 Likes

Hey Richard,

I’m really keen to check out your Neopixel code; do you mind sharing it with a quick note of what wasn’t working as expected?

4 Likes