Arduino for mouse emulation

Hi I’m starting a project for a USB PC mouse using 3 X strain gauges for users with a disability. I’ve used Chinese Arduino Leonardo knockoffs in the past, they were called Pro Micro from memory and used the ATMEGA32U4.
I was thinking of starting with the Arduino Micro from Core as its got the processor I know and the very useful 6 pin ISP header.

Are there any other options for an Arduino I should be looking at?

Tom

1 Like

Hi Tom,

I’ve had a look, and apparently the ATMega32u4 has native USB support, and such is a good choice for HID, as you’ve discovered. We’ve got quite a few boards that feature this processor in stock, so you can pick based which form factor you’d like, however my personal recommendation for prototyping would be the:

As it’s based on a 32u4 and has a qwiic connector that’ll plug straight into a…

But in your case, since this board doesn’t have a selectable i2c address, you’ll also need a multiplexer:

Keen to see this in motion!
-James

3 Likes

Either a 32u4 based arduino or a Teensy are the most sensible choices.

If you need something small and cheap check out the AStar32u4 from Pololu

4 Likes

Hi Tom,

In the same vien lots of makers are moving towards the RP2040 found in the Raspberry Pi Pico.
With circuit python there are some pre-written modules that can get you started (Getting started with HID and the Pi Pico)
At the moment Adafruit are charging down the road of HID with a range of micro-processors so defintely keep an eye on them!

3 Likes

I’ve had a similar ambition, I just never put in the time yet. Awesome project!

2 Likes

Excellent idea, I’ve noted it on the project git repo.

James,

Thanks for the ideas, I’ve ordered a Pro Micro since I’ve used it before, and I already have 3 x HX711 amplifiers, but I’ve noted your suggestions for the future.

1 Like

In case anyone wants to follow this, I’ve started a project on github here https://github.com/celephicus/tadtas-joystick.git where you can follow progress.

Tom

2 Likes

Hey Tom,

This looks like an awesome project! We’ll definitely have to keep an eye on it.

If you had the chance, we have our projects section on the website where makers can send us through their completed projects to be published and receive a store credit! You can check out all the details for it here.

2 Likes