Arduino or Raspberry Pi for automated measure and stop on Drop Saw

I am putting together a project to make a linear stepper driven measure and stop for a drop saw.

It will allow the user to type in a number and move a stepper motor driven panel (like a pusher) closer to the drop saw give the supplied measurement.

I would like a touch screen but that is probably more than I am aiming for at the very start. I am not sure if my best option is to go for an Arduino (I have some ESP32s and a Mega) so that I can just run the stepper off a driver or go full blown Pi setup and feed out to a GRBL controller.

All the program needs to do is locate home (with limit switch) and move stepper based on a numerical input.

I am not fixed on any ideas just yet, and there is no commercial purpose for this, it’s more of something I want to build, because well… no reason except that I built it - I am sure all of you on here would understand that :slight_smile:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

4 Likes

Hey Sean,

Sounds like an awesome project! I imagine that will speed things up a huge amount in the workshop.

An ESP32 could leave your options open in the future for using various types of screens.
In the mechanical realm, I would definitely make sure a worm screw is involved somewhere so the measurements dont alter as you do more cuts. A ‘breaking’ system where the jig is locked in place could also work great.

I’m keen to see where this goes Sean!!
Liam.

3 Likes

Thanks Liam for the great addition of the braking system! That would be neat as. Esp32 allows me a bit more freedom and from what I have read it might be useful using a queue system to operate the interface and send the movement to the stepper on individual threads.

3 Likes

Hey Sean,
Ooooh yeah a queuing system would be amazing to see in action. As in threads on the ESP32? That sounds like a very interesting way to make sure that they’re firing off!
Liam.

2 Likes

Hi Sean,

Cool project! I watched an awesome video on a CNC table saw a while back that you might be interested in:

Good luck with your project, keen to see this develop!

2 Likes