Bending a USB plug - safely

I have mounted a Pi 3 Model A+ on the back of a Waveshare 7.9" screen and I want to mount it in a sleek box (to be built) to sit on the desktop. However, the micro USB power cable comes off the edge of the Pi card and the box would have to be bigger than I’d like, just to allow for the micro USB plug. I’ve tried 90 degree adapters, but they either interfere with the HDMI connector or the mounting screw hole for the screen.

Does anyone know if it safe to bend a microUSB adapter, perhaps with a heat gun applied to the plastic (without melting the insulation on the wires)? I’m open to other ideas.

Thanks in advance, Dave.

2 Likes

This type of 90 degree adapter does not help either?

2 Likes

Solves the problem of interfering with the HDMI and screw mount. Would still leave the box a bit larger than I’d hoped but it is a solution. Thank you!

2 Likes

Hi David,

I’ve had luck using a heat gun/lighter to bend over some cheaper cables, but haven’t had to bend the stress relief portion of the connection, just the start of the wire.
@G177630 's suggestion for that vertical connection is perfect!

Core also stocks a range of ribbon cable USB adapters that you might be able to use!

Liam

2 Likes

Hi Liam, yes, to keep it compact it looks like it might be best to wire my own. Thinking about it, I could also make the power cable more easily detachable with a female USB mounted at the back of the box, so that’s sounding like the best idea. I’ll just have to go light on the coffee so that I can solder nice and steady. :smile: Thanks.

2 Likes

i dont think bending the microUSB is the best idea while we have so many flexible available in the market. Just look for another here Fast Charging USB Cables & Accessories - Satechi and thank me later

1 Like

Hi Simon, Satechi may have stylish cables but noting functional in terms of 90 degree adapters that I could see.
I have ordered some Arduino USB DIY plugs (which I don’t have to close up) and breakout boards, just a case of soldering.

2 Likes

share the link to your order so that in case i need one i can do the order too.
Thank you!

1 Like

Hope this works, not pasted links here before.
This is the breakout board, which I can screw into position in the back of the box:
https://core-electronics.com.au/usb-micro-b-breakout-board.html

These are the plugs:
https://core-electronics.com.au/usb-diy-connector-shell-type-micro-b-plug.html
but I’ll cut of maybe half of the length before I snap the front hooks together. Probably use a glue gun to hold the wires into the ‘half’ of the case that’s left.

I need less than 10cm wire to join them.

3 Likes

Hi Dave
I had the same problem and ended up using a
https://core-electronics.com.au/usb-diy-slim-connector-shell-microb-plug.html
plug and 3D printing a cap that simply slides on and can be glued in place. (Files attached).
You have probably gone down another path but this might be helpful to others.
Roland
IMG_0247
IMG_0248
IMG_0250
MicroBUsbDiyCap.stl (198.8 KB)

2 Likes

Hi Roland,

Thats a very clean solution, thanks for keeping the topic updated!
Your solution has easily won the lowest profile micro USB plug I’ve seen :smiley:

Liam

1 Like

Hi Roland, that’s fantastic.
I ordered the snap together version, which arrived from Core today. The plug bit itself looks very similar if not identical, so your cap is an ideal solution - thanks for the file. :smiley:
I agree with Liam - you won the lowest profile USB plug competition easily!
Cheers, Dave

1 Like

Thanks Guys
I forgot to mention that the STL file is already scaled for ABS on a Lulzbot Mini:
ScaleX = 1.025;
ScaleY = 1.05;
ScaleZ = 1.015;
Being such a small print - adjustments will likely be needed for other printers and materials so have attached the STL file without scaling.
MicroBUsbDiyCapNoScaling.stl (183.7 KB)

Roland

2 Likes

If you are talking about the plugs on the end then you can attempt to bend them back into place with your fingers or a pair of pliers but it isn’t really worth it as the cables are cheap enough to be considered disposable.

Have noticed some variations in shape of this product so changed the cap to fit.

MicroBUsbDiyCapV2.stl (261.8 KB)
MicroBusbV2

3 Likes

For the slimmest possible plug, just go the hack on one and trim all the plastic off, and replace it with hot-glue. If you’re careful enough, you might even be able to avoid re-soldering.

1 Like