Bright LED suggestions

Hi all. I’m making a ghostbusters thrower/wand, and need some pretty bright lights for the tip of the wand. Standard leds won’t cut it. I’ve only ever used standard leds and I’m not sure what to use or how to power it.

I think a 3W rgb led might suit…? Perhaps this one?

It needs to be driven, perhaps with this?

I’m not sure how the +ve/-ve output terminals on the driver connect up to the LED though? Are these suitable, or can you suggest a better led/driver combination? Or anything that will work really.

My project will eventually use a 4 X AA pack to power the arduino and a 12v battery for a 20W amplifier, so I can use either of those if that helps.

Lastly, the LED needs to mount in a pvc tube about 20mm in diameter, and this LED mounting board is pushing that. Are there smaller options? The light won’t be on for more than 5-10 seconds at a time while firing, so hopefully heat won’t be too much of an issue?

Thank you for any help you can give!

Hi Sneaky,

This LED is VERY bright. A standard LED on an LED strip is perhaps 0.1W? Don’t quote me on that but its much brighter. You will need an LED driver of some sort. This one should work fine. As for size, consider mounting it back by the handle and running wires to the end?

I’m not sure what you mean about the power supply, just make sure everything is getting the proper voltage.

Send us a picture of the finished product!

-stephen

Thanks, but I learned that this driver is unsuitable for this LED.
I ended up going with a Pixie 3W RGB smart LED (5v). It is very simple to use. Had the code for it going in about 5 minutes.
Brightness is very good and suits my project very well.

1 Like