Can RPI be used as an external device?

My yr12 final for DT requires me to make a device, I need to make a device which can record audio and then be able to assign it to buttons which then need to be transferred to a DAW by audio which can be recorded.
Is it possible to do this using an RPI or would I need an Arduino (don’t want an Arduino due to its limited processing power) and if so which model?

1 Like

The answer’s probably yes but your question. is not particularly clear.

What inputs and outputs do you need for your system? What’s the specific application?

2 Likes

i want to be able to press a button(s) which have recorded sounds assigned to them which then need to be able to played back into a computer as audio which can be recorded i.e. through audacity.

1 Like

Hi Steven,

Sounds like you’re after a WAV or MP3 trigger. I’m not sure how you would interface this back into your computer as an input, but this should be an interesting part to take a look at for your project there are a few videos that should run you through its applications.

2 Likes

You could just run it through a line in. If you’re trying to make a looper/stomp box that’ll record and playback though you’ll need a different setup.

You could use a 32u4 based dev board to send commands to your computer from stomp buttons.

A pi is still definitely overkill though (and in some ways worse).

1 Like

I have no idea why I didn’t think of that :sweat_smile:

@Oliver33 is exactly right should be able to run that directly. To confirm, you’re making a project that has a set of pre-recorded sounds (could this be on an SD card?) and you just want to output into a computer to analyze the incoming sounds which would be different depending on which button was pressed?

2 Likes

yes and no. i want to be able to record sounds, then assign them to buttons which i can press to play the sound which i have assigned each one to. I could have these record and go into an SD and then from there to buttons.

Hi Steven,

Excellent, did you see the video clip with the WAV trigger on the site? Should function in a way that you need. If you’re able to save the files from your computer as you record them to a microSD card and then put that into your board, you can trigger various pre-recorded sounds based on the buttons pressed. You’ll likely need to do some soldering to put it all together, but it should suit what you’d like your project to do by the sounds of it. Have a Merry Christmas!

2 Likes

thanks bro much love for the support

1 Like

will the wav trigger work with an rpi or is it only arduino, and also which board is recommended for this project? I need the board to have sounds for 12 buttons. :slight_smile:

Hey Steven,

The WAV Trigger is just it’s own microcontroller, it is just designed with much less functionality than something like an Arduino.

You can, however, use an Arduino to control that one via the serial connections. Check out robertsonics WAV Trigger Arduino Library, this will definitely make things a bit easier.

They have also uploaded some info to this page on their website.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

thanks, are there any good microphones that i can use for the arduino? or are there only good ones for rpi

im essentially making a synthesizer that can record audio and be used with keys/buttons

Hey Steven,

I’d probably go with the Raspberry Pi personally. Having an OS to work in on the board directly just makes it so much easier to add functionality like saving recordings and downloading applications like Audacity. Also, that way you can use a much wider variety of microphone and speaker, I’ve linked a little easy to use one for you below, the quality won’t be a great as a regular microphone, but it’ll keep everything nice and small and easy to use.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=221323

thanks heaps mate

1 Like