Capture car rego and SSID with automatic plot to wigle.net

Hey everyone!

I am studying a cyber course with UNSW and have to come up with a project for the next 6 weeks. I am probably going to bite off more than I can chew, but I want to teach myself and build a system which does two things…

Firstly, take a photo of a car number plate and log the information essentially what is listed below:

And, collect SSIDs in the area and compare them to wigle.net

The end state, collating cars with potentially the drivers SSID and plot on a map…

I’ve never even had a Pi, so I was wondering if you guys could tell me what I need to buy to get this going?

Nick

Hey Nicholas,

Welcome to the forums!

Sounds like an excellent project, I would also make sure your are not breaking any rules regarding privacy.

I would look no further than a Pi 4: 4GB and 8GB would be advisable since you might be openning some big databases and to keep a high refresh rate at full resolution on the camera. If you offload the processing to another computer you might be able to use a 3B+ for capture.

If you can get your hands on a high resolution USB camera I would go with that, or you can opt for the High Resolution Pi Camera.

To make sure your Pi runs then you will need the essential peripherals listed on the side of the Pi’s product page, if you set up a remote connection to the Pi a barebones setup will require a µSD with operating system, power supply and a case.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Liam.

Hey Liam!

Thanks for getting back to me, I will be diving into the privacy aspect in scope of the research piece, however the system won’t be deployed in-use. I will test it for the purpose of project with volunteers.
The actual capability is something I briefed a few years ago as a hypothetical way people could target Defence Force personnel (I am Army) by placing such a device at the gate of a base to find where they lived… and again placing such a device at an Airport to identify when people have (for example) left the city (and their home may be unoccupied).
So the intent of the project would be to A. learn new skills B. brief it as a conceptual threat to personal security (to encourage people to turn off their WIFI away from home).

So certainly a Pi 4 8GB, Hi res camera, PIR module to sense vehicle, I need a power supply, GSM capability for data access, an external WIFI antenna for SSID scanning?
Are you able to confirm?