Choice of debuggger/programmer

Hi All,

I would like to by a programmer/debugger and have a question about device compatibility etc. Initially for an ESP32, but I have a few other chips which I think are mostly STM or Cyprus PSOC. My Dad has a lot of standard Arduino boards.

Is a Segger J-Link the way to go? I don’t want to keep buying programmers every time I get a new chip type. I already have a Cyprus MiniProg 3, but this seems to be only useful for their own chips or IDE. I also don’t want to get something super cheap and then find out that it some bizarre/ unexpected incompatibilities.

regards

Justin.

1 Like

Hi Justin,

The Segger J-link supports a lot of chips, and we have a personal use/educational use one for sale that is much more affordable. According to the ESP32 User Guide the Segger J-link should work. I suggest you check with the manufacturers of each chip you would like to program to make sure its compatible, as I can’t promise it will work for everything.

Here is a link to the ESP32 page where I found info about compatible Programmer/Debuggers:
http://openocd.org/doc/html/Debug-Adapter-Hardware.html

1 Like

Hi Justin,

There’s no “one size fits all” for programmers. Perhaps more important, use tools that have reliable integration with your IDE / tool chain. Most manufacturers / IDEs will work better with specific programmers as apposed to others. Just a note, so you’re better prepared!

1 Like