Components for controlling LED panel

Hi Core forum,

I have an LED panel that runs off 50-60V and 0.1-1A.

I am currently running it off a benchtop power supply with constant current and adjusting the brightness by increasing and decreasing current.

I would like have a panel mounted PSU inside the LED enclosure I am using instead of a separate PSU.

A buck converter unit has been suggested to me with voltage and current control.
However I do need one rated up to 60V. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I would also like to have a digital display that gives feedback on the current value.
The current value represents a particular light power output in mW and I am aiming to display this light power on the display as the current is adjusted.

Am I correct in thinking I need a rotary encoder with a display and a microcontroller for this?

Thanks for reading

Hi Alex,

Could you share a link to the LED panel you’re using? 60V seems crazy high, and hard to build something around :frowning:, at least from our parts.

Maybe you could get a prebuilt LED driver, replace the dimming pot with something panel-mounted, then add a current meter?

-James

Hi James,

Thank you for your help. I have no link as it is an R&D panel. It is rated up to 72V and 2.5A.

Thanks for the Meanwell link, I have been looking at similar drivers.

Is it possible to have a prebuilt LED driver interface with the Pimoroni HyperPixel 2.1 Round - Hi-Res Display for Raspberry Pi for example.
To give the user a way of selecting a particular current setting that corresponds with a Light Power Intensity that is shown on the display?

Thanks again

Hi Alex,

If you find out the pot value used, you could use whatever is drawing to your hyperpixel to control a digital pot:

A bit janky, but might allow you to do this without creating your own power circuitry

-James

1 Like

Hi James, Alex

In the “old” days (before all this digital stuff) in things like those big recording consoles they actually used tiny motors to drive the potentiometers. Might seem crude to-day but it worked.
Cheers Bob
Sorry about the link, I really meant to extract this bit of text.
“The problem with traditional potentiometers is the fact that your microcontroller doesn’t have an easy way to interface”

2 Likes