Connect 2 usb components via a single Usb Cable

Hello all
im building a Vocore screen with RGB ws2812 LEDs via a Arduino Nano
the Nano and vocore screen use a micro usb cable.
im wanting to join the 2 via a hub in the enclosure and connect the enclosure via 1 USB cable only, like the below picture.
i cant find a USB2.0 Expansion Module HUB Concentrator like in my diagram so i am looking for other ideas or where i can get a USB2.0 Expansion Module HUB Concentrator

2 Likes

Hi Scott
I thought USB hubs of different capacity both passive and powered were readily available. I have one of each sitting here now.
Cheers Bob

2 Likes

thanks Rob, can you please advise where you got them from and maybe a part number / name
im struggling to find one

2 Likes

Hi Scott.
CoreElectronics have a few of different flavours, Jaycar, Harvey Norman, JB HiFi, Not sure about Woolworths. They carry some USB cables and other items but not sure about USB hubs, Even our local Chemist has some USB things.
You may finish up with a 4 port unit but just disregard the ones you don’t use.
Cheers Bob
PS You may find that most have only a pretty short cable to go to the computer or whatever. You will probably need a type A male to type A female cable to extend to where you want to go.

3 Likes

sorry i think you have misunderstood what i am wanting
please see picture
just trying to get one locally in Australia

Hi Scott,

Searching “USB Hub IC” and building a reference design will likely get you there, or perhaps just buying a commercial hub as Bob suggested and stripping off the plastic enclosure, and desoldering the ports.

Hi James

Why would you want to do that ??? Just plug them in.
Cheers Bob

1 Like

Hi Scott
Yes I think I have. I have no idea what that is or what it does. You may have to try China. Best of luck with that. Personally I steer clear as I don’t like waiting for months to get anything. Chinese postage system really sucks.
Cheers Bob

Hi Bob,

I was only going off what Scott seemed to want, a USB hub without ports. I’d definitely just use the hub as-is if it were me (I agree with you there)

1 Like

Hi Scott,

If its going in an enclosure it wont really matter what it looks like, running with Bob’s idea of using the cables and grabbing something like this: https://core-electronics.com.au/usb-mini-hub-with-power-switch.html

Splicing up a couple USB cables and soldering the wires in that way would be a lot more time effective than soldering on both ends (plus if you run into any issues, easier to debug)

2 Likes