Connecting the trinket

Hi, I am having lots of trouble connecting my trinket to the Arduino IDE. I can connect the Arduino board OK and program it. I am guessing that I have not loaded the correct drivers, but have gone thru the process more than once.

Help please … pete

First thing to try:

Even though you can program Trinket using the Arduino IDE, it’s not a fully 100% Arduino-compatible. There are some things you trade off for such a small and low cost microcontroller!

Trinket does not have a Serial port connection for debugging so the serial port monitor will not be able to send/receive data
Some computers' USB v3 ports don't recognize the Trinket's bootloader. Simply use a USB v2 port or a USB hub in between

(Copied directly from the product description)

And read the tutorial Lady Ada put together on the Trinket. It covers everything you need to use the Trinket.

I have read that article. My problem is worse than that.

On the Arduino TOOLS menu, I cannot get the Board to point to the Trinket. … and I don’t know if it is relevant that “Port” is greyed out, And when I press “Get Board Info” nothing seems to change.

To be more definitive where my problem is …

1. Went to the IDE Library Manager, found Adafruit NeoPixel
  2. Installed 1.3.5
  3. Library manager shows that it is installed
  4. Plug the Trinket into the USB
  5. The board info has not changed, cannot find how to change this info to reflect the Trinket.
  6. Included "Adafruit_NeoPixel.H
  7. Compiled the sketch … no errors
  8. Ran the sketch … “Couldn’t find a Board on the selected port. Check that you have the correct port selected. If it is correct, try pressing the board’s reset button after initiating the upload”
  9. Pressed the reset and retried … no difference

Please Help … is this a Port issue??? if so how do I fix???

I hope this will help you to determine the problem.

When I am uploading a sketch … I get the following message buried deep in the info … did not see it before …

“Couldn’t find a Board on the selected port. Check that you have the correct port selected. If it is correct, try pressing the board’s reset button after initiating the upload.”

Tried all that, no joy. Further, I have not set any ports anywhere in the install , and did not see where I was asked to set a port.

I could send the full upload error messages if you want.

Hopefully someone is there still looking at these forums … Pete

1 Like

You should not be worrying about setting the Port, as the serial port on the Trinket only exists for about 10 seconds after power on/reset. The red LED is blinking when the board is in program mode.

The important things are setting the board type, and the programmer to USBtinyISP. (Both in the tools menu)

Then when ready to upload, press the reset button on the Trinket.

1 Like