Could you give me more info on a product?

This item:

Could you give me the size of it - assembled?

With a Ras Pi in it. Width and length are easy.
Height is how thick it is measured between the plastic top and bottom layer.

Thanks.

3 Likes

Hey Andrew,

No worries, it’s ~14mm thick including the board. And from what I’ve measured it’s about 90mm x 62mm with rounded over corners. Did you have any other questions?

2 Likes

No, thanks… Appreciated.

Just doing my homework for a new project and working out / thinking about how to build it.

5 Likes

Ok, next question…

Will that case support a fan?

3 Likes

Hi Andrew,

While you could technically drill and tap holes for your fan into the acrylic, an easier option would be to go with a fan HAT, or a case with a fan built-in. You are a bit limited though by your Pi 3, as most of our fan cases are designed for the 4.

-James

2 Likes

Thanks.

It is a bit of a catch22.

The cases with the fan in them are “OUT OF STOCK”… So… Not really doable.

The HAT… I’m guessing that will block access to the other GPIO pins. That’s a problem with a lot of the hats I see.
They allow you to do that one thing and NOTHING ELSE. Which is a bit silly in a lot of ways.

I’ll think about the options. Thanks.

3 Likes

Hi Andrew,

Luckily, the Fan HAT I linked has an extra header soldered to the top of the board too, which allows you to plug a male header/jumper cable into the top of the HAT.

Another thought that comes to mind, however, is that the Pi 3 doesn’t throw off as much heat as a Pi 4, so a small heatsink might actually be all you need, considering that the Pi will stop itself getting dangerously hot.
-James

2 Likes

Hi Andrew,

If you ever have a question regarding if HAT’s will work with eachother were more than happy to jump in! :smiley:

An excellent resource that we use is pinout.xyz it features some HAT’s submitted by the community and the developers.
Sometimes the pins used are in the description.
As a rule of thumb:

• Power can be passed through - as long as the supply can source enough current
  • I2C can be shared most of the time - any address conflicts can cause funny behaviour; any questions around addresses can usually be answered with some digging around the documentation (You can also use a Mux to breakout more I2C busses)
  • Serial - most of the time this is a 1-1 connection
  • SPI - You can spread this out using the CS pin but its also uses up quite a few pins most of the time.

If you have any questions send them out way!!
Liam.

3 Likes

Thanks.

That hat does look nice. It is on the watch list.

Interesting thing is that it does a gender swap for the pins. Good and bad.
But anyway, it will be looked at for my next order. You just missed today’s and I am not going to buy just that.
It can wait until I work out which RasPi 4 I want and when I get my next RasPi3 - as I was limited to buying one. :frowning:

2 Likes

Um sorry to bother you…

The “Case”… Got it.

There is no “this side up” marking on the black piece.
Just saying.

1 Like

Hi Andrew,

There is an assembly guide with photos of how to put together the slim case.

The black piece should be oriented as per the image below.

2 Likes

Yes, and the guide shows/says there is “This side up” written on that piece.

No there isn’t. Or my piece wasn’t there when it happened.

No big. I got them assembled, but did watch the video - which is why I am saying.

2 Likes

Hi Andrew,

I see the mixup now. It looks like our product design team has revised the case design and the label is still mentioned in the video guide. Sorry for any confusion caused! I’m glad to hear you got the case assembled ok.

3 Likes

Sorry…

The fanhat… Mentioned above.

Ok, it has a nice extra feature to allow shutdown/reboots by pressing a button.

The fan… That’s always on - yeah?

Just I had a fan for a while on a machine and the noise it makes… (Honestly.)
Not like a jack hammer, but it is in that sweet spot where I can always hear it.

ALWAYS is not really wanted.
It would be better if it was controlled.

Though I am sure a bit of hacking would get around that problem, I just want to ask now.

Just read some reviews.

Download from core’s site… I can’t find/see this link.

2 Likes

Hi Andrew,

Once the supporting script is installed the Argon Fan HAT will only turn on when the CPU temperature exceeds a certain threshold.
The installation instructions are at the bottom of the product description.

Once installed you can modify this script to adjust the temperature settings to suit your preference.

So this is no longer valid?

• Review by Christopher verified purchaser
    Rating 100
    Great little Fan easy to download and install software from the Core Electronics web site (Posted on 15/09/2021)

I was only asking as I don’t have one - yet - and was wanting to find out MORE about it that is declared on your page.

And would it work on a 3B as opposed to a 4?

Hi Andrew,

The process is even easier than that reviewer has stated as you don’t need to get the software from our website.
Running that single curl command in the terminal of your Raspberry Pi (as long as it is connected to the internet) will grab the latest version of the software directly from the manufacturer’s website and install everything needed to run the fan HAT.

The 40 GPIO connector is the same on both the Pi 3B and the Pi 4B so the HAT will work just fine with either.

2 Likes

Trent, you seem to not be understanding each other.

I am interested in getting the hat, but what to know what it does.
Reading what I can on your site, it says that it gives you a reboot/on/off button and a fan.
No mention of the fan being controlled by temperature.

No link to the software so I can look at it. Only to INSTALL it - which is a bit silly if I don’t have one.

Looking at the page, Christopher said he downloaded the software from your site.
Obviously this is wrong, though why they would say they did is beyond me.

Is the fan simply ON/OFF or is it speed controlled so the hotter it gets the faster the fan spins?
Which is another part to the equation.

WHICH GPIO pin does it use?
If I have done some stuff with the same GPIO pin then it is not a good idea for me to get it.
Saying - eg: I am using the … I2C bus, as an example and it uses one of those pins.

There is a LOT of stuff not told to anyone to help people know how it works.

Because we are getting a lot of hot days a newly upgraded RasPi is throwing a lot of over-temperature alarms at me.
I need to work out the best way to address this and need to know which GPIO pins are used, will it work on a 3B - ok: resolved, I think. - is the fan simply ON/OFF or is it speed controlled?

And as a result of these over temperature alarms I am finding a lot of mistakes in how I wrote code as it was never really tested before. Good / bad… What can I say?
So please help me with finding out if this is any good for my project:
What GPIO pin is used?
The fan control: what kind?

1 Like

Hi Andrew,

Right off the bat, I can see that our product page needs some serious TLC! I’ll work on getting it worded a little better today. Now, onto your points:

You’re in luck! curl https://download.argon40.com/argon1.sh | bash is a two part command, the first part, curl is a command to download a page/file from a server, the | in the middle is a pipe, which is used to take the output of one command, and push it into the input of another. Here, it’s used to take the page/file that curl grabbed from that URL, and run it as a script with bash.

The point of all that? You can just chop off curl and |, and end up with a URL you can stick into a browser, which will download the script, so you can inspect that script to your heart’s content.

Those echo commands are basically just writing individual lines to the relevant script (a kind of crude installer), and there are a couple of commands on either side for setting daemons up and the like.

Building on the info above, it looks like it uses GPIO 4 for shutdown:

And SMBus for setting the fan speed (similar to i2c) on address 0x1. So as long as you aren’t planning to use an SMBus peripheral that uses address 0x1, you should be all good :slight_smile:

Take a squiz and see what you think!

-James

3 Likes

Hi Andrew,

We’ll get the product page updated with some more information on the Argon Fan HAT.

To take a look at the code you’ll have to download a copy but you dont have to run it. Snipe out the link from the product page (Also linked here) and you can step through the bash scripts contents in a notepad (Right Click > Open with > Notepad or your desired text editor).

I’d imagine Christopher purchased the HAT and ran the script, everyone has different language for how they do a task but I can definitely understand Christophers thought process.

A quick look around the net leads me to belive that pins 7, 11, 22, 23 plus the I2C pins (27+28 are used with address 0x1a) and FYI you can use multiple devices on the I2C bus just make sure there isnt an address conflict, check out this tutorial for more details: I2C with Raspberry Pi - Tutorial Australia

I can assure you that the fan is PWM controlled and you can set the duty cycle in software, here’s a link to Argon’s Git repo with some details on how the whole eco system works: GitHub - Argon40Tech/Argon-ONE-i2c-Codes: This is a list of i2c Codes utilized by Argon ONE Raspberry Pi Cases

The ONE cases use the same HAT so all of the code is the same between them.
Liam

3 Likes