Cases for 3.5" screen

Hi, We are running our BRIMbridge SW on the R.PI 3 B+ and testing (successfully) the 3.5" screen. I would like the following and would appreciate your assistance:

• I need a good case that firmly holds the r.pi 3 B+ and screen
  • I would like case that firmly holds the r.pi 0 W and screen

Best regards,

David

1 Like

Hi David,

The best option I can think of is to use the Slim cases, they don’t enclose the screen, but should provide protection to the Pi, and with some quick modifications by drilling some holes you can add your own standoffs to hold the display in place. Otherwise, your best option may be to go custom, I’d check out Thingiverse and similar sites to see whether there are any 3D printed designs to accommodate the display and Pi. Please let me know if there’s anything else that I can do for you.

Bryce
Core Electronics | Support

Suggest the following for a case. The one I purchased arrived after a few weeks and fitted the screen and Pi 3 nicely. Core Electronics don’t have a similar case as far as I can tell.

1 Like

Thanks Bryce, had a look at this one… actually bought one from Core… but it is not acceptable for our purpose, the system must be enclosed. I saw one that looked good at AdaFruit, but been trying to source locally.

1 Like

Hi James,

I looked at this one, but was unsure. Thanks for the note. I will order one for testing. I also saw a similar thing at Adafruit, but the Banggood is a better price I think. The thought the inclusion of the heat sink looked smart with an enclosure and screen slowing heat dissipation as well as generating more heat.

1 Like

Hi David,

If you’d like, you can send through an email to support@coreelectronics.com.au to see whether we can get the case in here. I can pass it through to the purchasing team for you, and if we can get it supplied to us here then we can get some into Newcastle here in Australia. Best of luck with your project!

Bryce

Hi Bryce,

Thanks, I’ll test a couple first. I have another coming from Core tomorrow and we’ll test with that one, then test the other.

Cheers,

David

1 Like

Hey David,

How did you end up going with it?

Bryce

Bryce,

I ordered one from Banggood… They accepted my payment… then after a couple days informed me they were out of stock… then they proceeded to barrage me with emails selling other things ignoring my unsubscribe requests. I will not be buying from them in the future at all. We are going with the case we ordered from you for now. Still testing.

David

Hey David,

No worries, I’ll write up a suggestion to our purchasing department to see whether we’re able to start a product line for cases that can accommodate the 3.5 inch displays. I’ll get back to you here if we’re able to find anything suitable.

Bryce

1 Like

No rush. We are looking at the interface on the 3.5" and it looks OK, but production in higher numbers not a done deal yet. Thanks.

David

1 Like

All good, we’ll let you know.

Good news David,

We’re bringing on a new case here at Core Electronics, it’s designed to adapt to these 3.5" displays as standard. The link doesn’t exist yet, but you should be able to find it tomorrow by looking up CE07461 either on our site, or on a generic search engine (you can send through a quote if you need a higher quantity to support@coreelectronics.com.au after it comes online officially). Have a great day!

Here’s what it’s going to look like.

Bryce

2 Likes

Bryce, That looks good. Similar to the one I was looking at. The fan isa good idea since we have seen some heat issues with the current one we are testing. Will this work with a r.pi 3 B+?

1 Like

I would also suggest staying away from the group I bought the test unit from. No only am I now being spammed by them, but my credit card was used in France (blocked by my bank) to buy something from a Chinese site.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info about the supplier.
I have only bought one item from them (the case), it came within about 2 weeks. PayPal was used to pay for it. Have not received any spam and no overseas transactions I did not make. But will NOT recommend them due to your experience.

The case Bryce has shown looks the same as the one I purchased. The cover with the fan cannot be used with the LCD in place. Its one or the other.
When Core have these in stock might purchase another and a Pi to suit, only have 1 of those at the moment. Pi Zero is great, but is a little slow in CPU speed.

Cheers
Jim

3 Likes

have a look here…pls…thx…phase…

1 Like

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the suggestions, we’ll be sure to keep an eye on that, and James is exactly right, the case has a removable top that includes the fan which you can replace with a 3.5" Display. However, if you need it for your project, using some GPIO wizardry, you can fit certain fan shims around the display that you’re using (although ventilation won’t be as good) please let me know if there’s any display/case/fan-shim case you’d like us to check out for you once the stock comes in and I’ll get the details added on the website for the part. Have a great day!

Bryce

3 Likes

Hi All,

FYI, our purchasing team have just brought one on line:

Regards,
Oliver
Support | Core Electronics

2 Likes

Glad you had a good experience and thanks for the clarification on the fan. We are testing with a zero right now and may move back tot he 3B+ to get the increased # cores for a production version. Right now we are splitting the work between two systems and connecting via sockets over ethernet. We will host the SW components for shipping and installation on one platform. Would love a multicore zero, but astounded at the price performance of even the r.pi 3s… 4s are overkill for some sites right now and temperature is an issue we could face. even with the 3s I may use a heat sink under that TFT display.