Argon ONE Raspberry Pi 4 Case (CE06586)

This is a placeholder topic for “Argon ONE Raspberry Pi 4 Case” comments.

Clean stylized design, amazing cooling, minimal clutter, safety shutdown switch and is super easy to assemble. What more could you want for your Raspberry Pi.

Read more
2 Likes

What power supply will I need for the Argon ONE for Pi4?

the original rpi-4 power supply …

if you look there are 2 extra add-on p.c.b boards included with the case one is for the audio and hdmi…
the other is for the fan assembly and the power button and the input power socket…

1 Like

Would anyone know where I could find the script install instructions for the Argon One Pi4 case please?

Hey Darren, thanks for posting!

You can find the fan and control button instructions just below the assembly instructions here.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Hey Guys,
I need a case for a Pi4 and a POE Hat… I did some Googling over the weekend and found out that the Argon NEO will accomodate the POE Hat, but couldnt find anything on the Argon ONE.

I suspect that the POE hat will NOT fit in the Argon ONE due to the GPIO break out on the case…

Can you confirm please and then I’ll put my order in (for the ONE or NEO).

Thanks
Jon

Hi Jon,

For the PoE HAT to fit, the Argon One would have to forgo other features that seperate it from the rest. It would be best to stick with the Argon Neo, or Argon Poly.

2 Likes

Thanks Graham.

I ordered the Neo and whilst the Official POE hat fits in the case, there is no way to secure it to the RPi - The Pi is in the bottom half of the case and the hat is in the top half and there are no holes in the divider to allow the supplied spacers to fit.

When I get a bit of time I will look to drill 4 holes through the case so that it all fits together in a more permanent & rigid manner.

Apart from that, fantastic little case. Anyone looking to house a POE hat and wants an easy life should probably opt for the official RPi case. I did try the POE hat on a RPi3B that I have that is in an offical case and that works perfect.

Hope this helps someone else.

Thx
J

Guys,
A further update after a little more testing…

The Argon NEO is not compatible with the POE Hat.

The transformer on the POE Hat clashes with the divider in the case and will not allow the hat to engage with the 40Pin header sufficiently. As a result, the hat and PI cannot engage properly and I have found that the heat cycling and occasional movement result in the POE hat needing to be re-seated.

@Graham,
I have 2 of the NEO cases - I will continue to butcher one with a drill and file, but could I return the un-opened one for an official PI4 case please?

Thanks
Jon

Further update after half an hour in the shed… In order to make the POE hat fit reliably in the case, it needs some tweaking… I used a hacksaw, file and a vice.

Essentially you need to make space on either side of the 40 pin header to allow the standard spacers (supplied with POE hat) to land on the PI (this ensures the hat seats correctly) and then make space for the transformer on the POE hat so that it does not clash with the case.

Its an easy fix but one that shouldn’t be necessary given the ARGON site says its compatible with the POE hat!

Photos of amended case:

tldr: Auto-Power up after outage?

I purchased the Argon One for Raspberry Pi specifically because it conditionally used the fan… and that it looks cool and moves the ports to the back… from what I can tell, my Pi barely triggers the fan now… which is nice. I like the case a lot but is it possible to configure it so that it powers up after power failure? As it stands, I have to go home to physically press the power button just to resume operation.

My original RemotePi board used to have such an (auto-resume) feature but I switched to the Argon One because the associated RemotePi fan case had the fan running continually and it didn’t last long… 'cos my Pi is always on (and probably wasn’t the best quality fan, I don’t know).

Another person with this “requirement” (on a forum somewhere) just drilled a hole, threaded the power cable through, and powered the Pi directly to avoid the Argon ONE Power button… I’d like to avoid that if I can… but is that my only option? I can’t see a way to configure power behaviour otherwise. If this is done, does that mean that the conditional fan stuff is lost because the Argon ONE board is not powered? Is there maybe a way to power it from the GPIO in some weird way?

I’ve reached out to customer service at Argon40 for their opinion too but haven’t heard back yet… I figured if I raised it with them too that maybe they’ll keep it in mind as a future feature.

Thanks for any suggestions. Regards, Terrence.

Hey Terrence,

By modifying the Argon1.sh file on the Raspberry Pi that you installed to control the power to the Pi based on the button of the Argon One case you should be able to customise that capability to suit your requirement to Auto-powerup after an outage. I’m not sure exactly how to modify the file to suit the application that you’ve requested but it’d be a great place to start looking for oppurtunities to modify.it.

Have a great day mate!

Bryce
Core Electronics | Support

1 Like

Thanks Bryce, I didn’t even consider looking for clues in the scripts it installs… I’ll look there before doing anything drastic.

If anyone was wondering, Argon40 eventually replied and essentially said they were considering such a feature and suggested I buy the Argon NEO instead.

Hey Terrence,

Yes, the Argon NEO is a brilliant case, but it is out of local stock currently and doesn’t share many of the features of the Argon ONE. Make sure to let us know how you go and if you get the mod working we’d love to add a tutorial to the site about it!

Bryce
Core Electronics | Support

Hi was hope you could help i have the Argon one case and it is a great little case i did setup in raspbain and it works but i now wish to use Ubuntu as my OS and i try the setup scrip but had no luck with install will the case store setting for fan or do i have to reinstall Ive look around for a install guide for Ubuntu but did not have much luck so hoping you can help.

The script is python. When you install it should tell you what is wrong. It is probably missing modules due to the different OS.
I would suggest that if you read the log and install the missing modules you should be able to get it to work.
Check that Python is installed and gpio modules.

So I got the initial part working, just need to get the services running and fine tune.

1. Download the script as it is for Raspbian only and edit it. Remove references to the Pi user folder and change it to yours, probably ubuntu e.g. /home/ubuntu/Desktop
  2. Certain modules are not available such as vcgencmd which is used to get the temp. I used this to get the temp and control the fan.
    def temp_check():
    fanconfig = [“65=100”, “60=55”, “55=10”]
    tmpconfig = load_config("/etc/argononed.conf")
    if len(tmpconfig) > 0:
    fanconfig = tmpconfig
    address=0x1a
    prevblock=0
    while True:
    temp = os.popen(“cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp”).readline()
    val = int(float(temp)/1000)

So the basics will work, I am still sorting it out but you can get the fan running on Ubuntu. I have attached the first revision of the script that seems to work so far.

argon1.zip (3.9 KB)

1 Like

hi thank again for you help im new to all this and try googling
as much as i can i remove pi and replaced with Ubuntu google how
to run script and run it but come up with

Reading package lists… Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information… Done

E: Unable to locate package raspi-gpio

Did you install the package ? Have a look in the script see what packages are being installed.
This is a good way for you to learn about packages work in the os and python.
in my version I comment out the package install because it tried to install ones that failed.
e.g. python3 rather than python

1 Like

The gpio packages for Ubuntu are in the Universe repository. Have you enabled this repository?

sudo add-apt-repository universe
sudo apt update

I can’t guarantee that package names are the same as the Raspian packages.

You can search for packages here:
https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=eoan&arch=armhf&searchon=names&keywords=gpio

2 Likes