Dc-dc adjustable step-down module 5a 75w - not working

Hi,
I have ordered and received 12 of these useful boards for a large LED string project. Unfortunately, I have tested 5 so far and only one is actually adjusting from a 12v DC supply to 5v. The others are simply passing the 12v through.
Am I doing something wrong or have I struck a bad batch?
Unfortunately I have run out of time and need to solve this another way tomorrow. Frustrating.
cheers
David

5 Likes

Hi David,

Welcome to the forum, though sorry to hear you’re having issues.

Just to confirm, are these the step down converters you’re referring to?

You will need to adjust the voltage output using a multimeter while adjusting the voltage potentiometer. Have you double checked you’re adjusting it in the right direction? And that you haven’t hit the limit in the wrong direction?

If you haven’t set the output voltage limit below your input voltage then yes, they will essentially just pass your input voltage straight through with only a small drop.

4 Likes

Yes, I have. I thought I might be doing it wrong but I have found one that is working in the 5 so far. I try both pots in both directions.

I will try some more. How many turns do I have to do before I know I am either end?

cheers

5 Likes

Hi David
You will hear a faint “clicking” noise when the pot gets to the end of the travel. They are multi turn pots (10 or 20 turns) so are you turning it far enough. While adjusting the voltage por turn the current fully clockwise. If you have it turned down to minimum you will not get any volts.
Cheers Bob

5 Likes

Hi David,

Bob’s on the money with his suggestion.

If you disconnect the power (and perhaps have an extra set of hands you) should be able to measure the resistance between the legs of the pot on the bottom of the board using a multimeter and watch it change as you adjust the pot.

4 Likes

Ahh, Oliver, my bad. It appears I was too hasty and did not adjust the CV far enough. All good so far.

Cheers

David

5 Likes

No worries, glad to hear you’re back on track! Just let us know if you run into any more issues. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks.

4 Likes