Device prototyping - potentiometer alternatives?

Hi All,

I am prototyping an audio hardware device where users are seeking and appreciate good tactile interaction with the device as part of their experience.

Historically, toggle switches, velocity sensitive pads/keys and potentiometers (rotary, slide) for most device variables - and mostly potentiometeres, however analogue potentiometers have shown to become unreliable over time. I wish to avoid this issue, but still provide a hands-on UI/UX.

What alternatives do you suggest? So far, I am considering touch screen, touch bars, etc., but knobs and sliders are nice. Screens have shown to squash creativity, so the touch screen wouldnt be for information display. A question of balancing $, performance, reliability and experience.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

1 Like

Also interested in longevity difference between potentiometers and encoders - the device has some analogue requirements (pre-ADC), but is mostly digital.

1 Like

Hey Simon,

Welcome to the forum!!

For something that lasts a long time I would have a look at using a capacitive touch sensor, since there are no mechanical parts the lifetime will be much more than that of a switch.
For knobs you could use a rotary encoder, I’m not too sure how much more life you can get out of vs a potentiometer.
For a slider you id take a look at a TOF sensor or laser distance

2 Likes

Thanks heaps Liam. I feel welcome! I think that’s where I was settling - lower use (but necessary) encoders where required, otherwise capacitive touch sensors. I don’t think the other two options are suitable for the device, but am happy to be corrected :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey Simon,

Glad to hear! I’m keen to see what you come up with and for any other projects you have in the future!

Another idea, gesture sensor, I’m not too sure if you can do pure rotational movements but definitely worth taking a look at.

Its your project so up to you! Run with the vision in your head and it will turn out amazing.

2 Likes

Definitely - great idea. If we want to add gesture control with a sensor pad, that may be an additional requirement. This is gonna be fun!

3 Likes