Fried my Motorshield V2 .. what went wrong?

Hi all,

Thanks again for contributing to help problem-solve my blown motor shield.

I’ve taken the advice given here and tested current on all three connected motors using only the power supply, DMM and motor (leaving the arduino and shield out of the equation). Here are my results:

Motor 1 Current = 0.222 A
Motor 2 Current = 0.205 A
Motor 3 Current = 0.244 A

Next, I’m going to test connecting up the power supply directly to the shield, using the power terminals and remove the vin jumper. I should get the two working motors this way and will see how it goes compared to my previous (unsuccessful) results.

Best,
Matt

2 Likes

Hi Matt.
Good work. The slight discrepancy would be expected as no 2 motors would be exactly the same. There does not seem to be any cause for concern there. Unless something really funny is happening (anything is possible in this business) that just about eliminates the motors.
Just take things one at a time. Next step.
Cheers Bob

3 Likes

Thanks Bob, yes it’s a step in the right direction, that’s for sure. Hoping to make some more positive strides with the powered-up test run now. Fingers crossed.

Btw, just noticed it’s your birthday!!! Hope you had a great day.

Cheers,
Matt

2 Likes

Hi Matt.
Had a quiet day. Can’t do much else these days.
Just a little thing to do before you go powering up your motor board. With your multimeter check the resistance to ground on all the motor connections. Just make sure you don’t reverse any meter leads while doing this For instance you might connect the negative led to ground and then check the resistance at the motor terminals with the positive lead. Looking for any differences between the drives that are working and the ones that are not. You may have an accidental short to ground or similar. Just a precaution and something to eliminate before powering up.
Cheers Bob

2 Likes