Geophone - SM-24 (SEN-11744)

This is a placeholder topic for “Geophone - SM-24” comments.

Need to put your finger on the pulse of the Earth? Did I just blow your mind? A geophone works by translating ground movement into voltage, which can easily be read by a microcontroller. The SM-24 geophone element is designed to offer the highest performance in seismic exploration based upon field-proven I/O Sensor technology. Low distortion, combined with excellent specifications, provide high-fidelity data. Basically, it’s a super low frequency microphone for the ground.

Read more

Hi team,

Looking at the geophone, and the available data sheet, I cannot find any info re fixing it down. Similar devices appear to have an M8 thread in the base for either a bolt or a spike attachment.
Do you have any other data about this device?

cheers Murray

Hey Murray,

That’s a good question, I did find in the datasheet a reference to it being compatible with a variety of I/O sensor Geophone cases.

However, I haven’t been able to find an Australian source as of yet that stocks them for individual sale and it would be a bit hit and miss as to what would and wouldn’t work. Maybe they can be 3d printed if that wouldn’t greatly affect the accuracy?

Blayden

Hi Blayden,
Yeah - I found similar references and a similar lack of sources.

I am considering something like a metal pipe section that I can slit and then clamp around the geophone, with a cap and spike for installing into the ground OR a flange on a small 3 point plate for simple placement - that may have leveling screws instead of simple points.

These ideas are based on available images … but what this may do to de- / over- sensitive the device is in the unknown domain …

Murray

1 Like

Hi Murray,

My initial thought would be to just ensure the geophone was mounted vertically, as horizontal motion might throw off the results of a system that relies on gravity to balance the spring, and to try and mount the casing as rigidly as possible.
Mechanical resonance is a topic I know just enough about to realise there is so much more deep knowledge to really understand. Thomas Sanladerer did two videos exploring various modifications to printers to try and eliminate the resonance of the printer, from suspending the printer with bungee cords to filling the aluminium extrusions with sand as a damping agent. I’ll link the first below if you’re interested.

If it were me I’d probably try the quick solution first just to see what kind of results I get, perhaps a metal hose clamp to go around the geophone and fix it to a star picket fencepost.

1 Like

Hi Trent,
True - one step at a time, before over-engineering thingz :exploding_head:

Just cogitating at present, but plotting ideas for the next scout event.

2 Likes

Hi Murray,

That’s a great point, you could even say it’s best to work from the ground up.

Best of luck with it, let us know how it turns out.

Blayden

1 Like

You will find these listed as ‘Capacitor Clamp’, although finding the right size might be tricky. For instance:
https://au.element14.com/lcr-components/ep0884-p/clamp-flanged-45mm/dp/653500

2 Likes

Hmm
I am actually thinking of a aluminium plate with a pair of small L-brackets bolted down, and a screw clamp ( jubilee clamp) around the geophone and the brackets.

Add leveling screws or ground spikes as needed …

And maybe a plastic box over it for weather protection … maybe even using a second blacket/clamp combo to hold that in place…

3 Likes

Hi Murray,

I can’t see any issue with doing it that way. Let us know how it all goes when it’s set up.

Blayden