SM-24 geophone orientation

Hi, I purchased some SM-24 geophones and need to mount them in the roof at an underground mine. The orientation of the geophone will be upside down. Can this geophone be installed this way and will it affect its response? Thanks.

2 Likes

Hi Yi,

Welcome to the forum!!

Unfortunately, I don’t believe this module will. When flipping the geophone upside down it seems like the carriage moves to the opposite end. The effect could range from producing an off voltage to not working completely.

Note that the voltage produced is ~28V/m/s, there is a chance that it creates an arc inside the mine.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with!
Liam.

5 Likes

Hi Liam,

Many thanks for the reply. Do you provide any module which can be directly mounted into the roof? Also do you have any intrinsically safe geophones which can be used at coal mines?

Regards,
Joey

5 Likes

Hi Joey,

That seems to be the only geophone in Core’s range. Since Core is just a Hobby electronics store and arc-safe electronics usually need some sort of certification I don’t think they would have much that has those certs.

3 Likes

Thank you Liam. Much appreciated for your answer.

4 Likes

I understand this is a late reply but I have been putting some work into Geophones recently. You can definitely use the SM-24 Geophone to monitor tremours on the roof of your Mine. Certifications and everything else is above my scope. Below is a diagram showing the apparatus mounted in such a way to recieve tremours from the roof whilst still being orientated the right way.

Would love to see what kind of solution you came up with in the interim. The safer we can make underground mining the better, it is definitely not for the faint-hearted.
Kind regards,
Tim

2 Likes