Good 3d printer for enthusiastic newbie (kid)?

Hi folks, first post -
I’m looking for a 3d printer for my very enthusiastic son age 10 - future is uncertain so hoping to get an entry-level model in the 100s rather than 1000s of $ - would the Creality Ender 3 Pro suit, or is he likely to encounter too many problems with it (I notice it’s much less expensive than most other models).
Thanks in advance for advice!
Mark

3 Likes

Hey Mark,

The Ender 3 pro is great but it’s definitely going to be a father son project. The ender 3 is a kit 3D printer (some assembly required) and definitely aimed at the hobbyist, whereas the expensive ones are plug and play solutions, often targeted at the commercial market.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I had a look at some assembly vids on youtube and I see what you mean, but I think we can manage it. At least, that wouldn’t dissuade me from buying it. Should I understand then that in general, though, it’s a good machine for a hobbyist, which is definitely the profile that we fit?
Thanks again!

3 Likes

Hi Mark93316,

If you are a hobbyist this is a very good printer and I would recommend.

3 Likes

An ender 3v2 is great option

2 Likes

Hi Courier,

We’ve been sticking with the Ender 3 Pro for now since it’s a well established machine and most (or all) of the bugs have been ironed out. Once the Ender 3 v2 has reached a stable state we’ll likely make it available too :slight_smile:

Regards,
Oliver
Support | Core Electronics

1 Like

Hi Mark,

Just to add on to what everyone has already said, the Creality range are great entry grade hobbyist printers.
There is a bit of a learning curve in getting your prints coming through reliably, I would check out our tutorials on printing and more specifically using Cura.

There are great resources on YouTube that discuss hobbyist printing (see MakersMuse, 3D Printing Nerd and TeachingTech just to name a few).

Sticking with high-quality filaments will yield the most consistent results.

Cheers,
Liam.

2 Likes