Using PEI Filament with Creality Ender3 Pro

I am interested in purchasing a Ender3 Pro or CR 20 Printer and would like to know if either of these printers are capable of using PEI Filament. If not is there an upgrade for either of these printers and what would be the cost of such upgrades

Hey John,

You should be able to, the problem is going to be your bed temperature and bed adhesion as a consequence (it’s also worth noting that the magnets for the bed will start to demagnetize). Whenever you’re working on high-temperature filaments (or other similar properties such as some of the versions of 1.75mm Nylon) it’s best to check that the printer can match the settings, unfortunately, in the case of both these printers you’ll need to do some modifications first, switching out the hotend for a version that can reach 350°C and adding some extra bed adhesion could get you started with those more exotic filaments. If you’re looking for a printer that can work with PEI standalone, you may need to look into a printer that has a full metal hotend as standard. Unfortunately, neither our Creality nor Ultimakers can get to a temperature high enough to work with that plastic without modification first (which would require you to purchase a new suitable hotend which can get to the appropriate temperature, you can search online, metal hotend Ender 3 Pro there’s a good article from ALL3DP on it).

You’ll need to match these for most PEI filaments.Unfortunately, the Ender 3 nor CR-20 match.

• Extruder Temp: 350 - 380°C (all-metal extruder)
  • Bed Temp: 140 - 160°C
  • Bed Prep: PEI Tape, Polyimide Tape, Lightly sanded FR4 or Perf board.
  • Other: No cooling fan, Print speeds of 1000mm/min (starting point)

Bryce
Core Electronics | Support

1 Like

Thank you for your email Bryce,
I will take your advice and look at the upgrade for the Ender 3.
Once again I thank you for your prompt response and valued information.
Regards,
John Oliver.

You’re welcome John,

Have a great day! Make sure to let us know if there’s anything else that you need.

Bryce
Core Electronics | Support