GPS FeatherWing & Adalogger

I thought it might be cool to build a GPS logger with the Adafruit Ultimate GPS FeatherWing (ADA3133) and the Adafruit Feather M0 Adalogger (ADA2796). Because of their small size, and they can run on a LiPo for so long, I thought it’d just be an interesting project.

I couldn’t find anything similar on the internet. But, it should work in theory. Has anyone got any experience using the two together?

Hi Chris,

They’re both great products, looks like a fun project. I’m not 100% sure what you mean when you say ‘using the two together’. They’re both just microcontrollers that can be programmed to do whatever task you tell it to do, so you could have them communicate together, share a power supply, or whatever you want.

Thanks for the response Sam! I guess what I meant was I want to stack them, so that the GPS records its position to the micro SD throughout the day. I did a similar project with an Arduino Mega, except using a separate GPS break-out and and SD module. Obviously this was a large and cumbersome project. Feather appealed to be because of the small size and apparent stack-ability.

I’m completely new to Feather having only done some of the basics so far. So, would it be feasible to stack them directly? Or, would I need some other Feather in between?

Thanks for any help… I just wanted to sense-check the idea before investing in the Adalogger.

Ah, I understand. Yep, that’s exactly what they’re designed for. If something is a ‘Feather Board’, then it’s the equivelant of an ‘Arduino Board’. If it’s a ‘Featherwing’ then it’s like an Arduino shield.

The Featherwings are designed to stack onto Feather boards.

1 Like