Help with programming WT32-SC01 Plus - ESP32 dev board With 3.5 Inch LCD Touch Screen

I purchased the WT 30-SCO1 plus ESP 32 board. But I find it a bit of a challenge to try and make it do anything. in other words I cannot do it . I was wondering whether or not you had any plans for a maker guide for this product to perhaps put a clock on the face of it or something similar. I have tried to follow the instructions but I come unstuck . I have downloaded a Bing file and loaded that into the ESP programmer with. I think the correct address, but when I try and install it I get nowhere right now. I do not have it in front of me so I can’t give you more details, but I can look it up if required.

3 Likes

Hi Nicholas,

I’ve personally never used this board myself, to my knowledge it should already have firmware flashed to the board. It appears that the manufacturer has a website listed on the final Page 13. of the document below that described how to access their online GUI editor:

2 Likes

Hi Nicholas,

If the ESP32 is appearing as a COM port which it should you’ll be able to flash firmware on using a range of different tools (Arduino Micropython ect).

Do you recall which part of the flashing process you are having trouble with and are there any error messages?

1 Like

Hi Liam, and Bryce
I have been working on this since last week!
I have used the PDF reference document that you mention in your reply and I have logged into 8 mS studio and created my own dashboard to try and use the seed studio software to try and create a downloadable file (called a bin file ( not a bing file)my original typo)) that I can install in the WT 32 -sc01 using the esp download tool, however this did not work(after numerous attempts using the provided screen layouts).
( To create a bin file you first have to compile the image that you have created, and I have done the compiling and have then saved the bin file to my computer when I try to upload it nothing happens. The esp download tool does not respond.) I do think that I have got the right address which is 0X00 but the program just sits there and does nothing

I have also gone searching on the net for Arduino .INO sketches to suit an ‘esp32s3 dev module’ configuration which when I interrogate for ‘board info’ is the result I get.

I have found some of these and one of them wiped out the firmware that was supplied in the unit(wt32), but left me with a black screen. I cannot remember which Arduino file I downloaded, and I am unable to download any other file without encountering errors while in the process of uploading it to the WT 32-sc01, i.e. the upload terminates with an error message . All the files I have subsequently tried to upload will compile without error, but will not upload to the wt 32 without giving me an error

Flash download tool

I cannot work out a way to attach to this reply the word document that I also found, and the bin files that I’m installing onto the flash download tool. Which will not upload
The Arduino sketches that I have tried to install without success by Bodmer

GitHub - Bodmer/TFT_eSPI: Arduino and PlatformIO IDE compatible TFT library optimised for the Raspberry Pi Pico (RP2040), STM32, ESP8266 and ESP32 that supports different driver chips
Cheers
Nick

2 Likes

Hi Nick,

Could you please share the output of the esptool?
Have you navigated to the correct directory where the .bin file is stored?

1 Like

Here is the output of the esp download tool

C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EXa8720.40950\FLASH_DOWNLOAD_TOOLS_V3.6.4\ESPFlashDownloadTool_v3.6.4.exe:96: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Using deprecated class PySimpleApp.
('self.chip: ', ‘ESP32’)
RF option applied…
C:\Users\Admin\Downloads\ESP 32\bin(3)\firmware_0x0.bin
1 kill
test offset : 0 0x0
case ok
case ok

CONNECT BAUD: 115200

[2023-08-30 15:14:51,411][ESP8266Loader_spi[1]][espDownloader.pyo][line:436][ERROR]: could not open port u’COM1’: WindowsError(2, ‘The system cannot find the file specified.’)
case ok

…_____…_test offset : 0 0x0
case ok
____[2023-08-30 15:15:13,467][ESP8266Loader_spi[1]][espDownloader.pyo][line:351][ERROR]: Chip sync error: Failed to connect to ESP32: Timed out waiting for packet header
[2023-08-30 15:15:13,469][ESP8266Loader_spi[1]][espDownloader.pyo][line:439][ERROR]: ESP32 Chip sync error esp_sync_blocking.
case ok

[2023-08-30 15:20:33,292][ESP8266Loader_spi[1]][espDownloader.pyo][line:351][ERROR]: Chip sync error: Failed to connect to ESP32: Timed out waiting for packet header
[2023-08-30 15:20:33,292][ESP8266Loader_spi[1]][espDownloader.pyo][line:439][ERROR]: ESP32 Chip sync error esp_sync_blocking.

After the sketch in 8mS is compiled, and if it compiles correctly, it will automatically save that compiled file and save it, and then all you have to do is hit the download button and it downloads that bin file to your computer, and then you just navigate to where it downloads and use that file in the ESP tool

2 Likes

Hi Nick,

It looks like you are missing a couple of things:

1. You’ll have to change the COM port to the one specified in device manager (will be the same as Arduino - but dont have it open and connected at the same time)
  2. (You have the file in the right spot but navigating using the cd command and verifying using ls to the folder that the .bin file is stored - I like to use the downloads folder or a project specific one
1 Like

Hi Liam,
Ah Ha . I had Arduino windows open at the same time even though they were sitting idle. That may be a problem, they were probably hogging the port.
An interesting point to note is that it doesn’t matter which usb port I plug into its always the same com port number. I’ll investigate in the morning

2 Likes

“(You have the file in the right spot but navigating using the cd command and verifying using ls to the folder that the .bin file is stored - I like to use the downloads folder or a project specific one”

Hi Liam, if it appears that I am using the command line to access the .bin file and using the LS command, I don’t know how as all I am doing is storing it in the downloads folder in a specific place and asking the ESP tool to browse to that position and pick up the file .

Today I found a website for a gentleman that has also had a lot of trouble with this device, and he had a diagram showing adding a boot switch to the debug connections using the seven pin wire that is provided with the header plugs
‘(GitHub - janick/WT32-SqLn: Getting started with Wireless Tag's WT32-SC01 Plus using SquareLine Studio and LVGL)’,

and I just connected the switch into the plug so that I could do a reset on the unit and this has meant that I can upload to it, but it still has a black screen after I’ve uploaded.

So today I have tried using the Adafruit ESP tool, and the Espressif ESP tool-js,
‘(https://espressif.github.io/esptool/js/ )’ and both have uploaded to the device, but the screen is still black.
So I am a little bit closer, but there is still some distance to go .

Below are 2 of the bin files I have tried to upload into the wt32

bin(5).zip (866.8 KB)’

40636.zip (2.1 MB)’

1 Like

Hi Nicholas
I am just stickybeaking here but I did notice that

Liam used the lower case “ls” where:

You have used upper case. It may be just a typo but I think this sort of thing is case sensitive.
Cheers Bob

1 Like

Typo

1 Like

Hi Nicholas,

Glad to hear you are now able to upload to the board!

It looks like the software that janick uses on his GitHub guide is more promising than that included in the guide on the pdf.

I’d check out that guide from start to finish to see if you have any success.
Liam

Hi Liam
I can see that it appears to be uploading but the screen still remains completely black, even after pressing the reset button on the rear of the module which is meant to initiate the program that has been uploaded. I’m going to give it a few more attempts but it seems to be a pretty useless device.
Nick

Hi Nick. I am on the same path as you but have made more progress. I was at the same stage where all I had was a blank screen. If you are using an example from 8ms then I found that you need to use one of their demo apps that is for the ZX3D50CE02S_USRC_4832 hardware and NOT for Esp32_WT32_SC01 or any other hardware. This also applies for when you create your own project on their website.
Hope that helps.
Rod

Hi Rodney
Thanks for your input . I will investigate this evening when I get home your suggestion .
Yes it has been extremely frustrating and I have been trying on and off a few times a day to upload something to the board and see if it works. One thing I did discover this morning was that I can install an ESP 32 Wi-Fi code using the Arduino IDE And I can have the WT32 acting as a wireless hotspot so I know the ESP 32 works. It’s just a matter of getting the screen going so that’s my next challenge.

Hi Rodney thanks for your advice . I used the board type you suggested with good results for a few different designs. My next challenge is to see if there is a way to convert the blocky to English instead of Chinese & also to connect to external devices such as a gps module or as3935 lightning sensor
Cheers
Nick

Hi Nick. Glad you have made progress.
I now have almost finished my work project using this device. I gave up on 8ms and blockly. I used VS Code, ESP-IDF, lvgl, and a very cool example project from github called ESP-TUX to get me going. It took a lot of effort and I’ve learnt a lot along the way. At least I can now relatively confidently create other apps for it now.
I’d love to know how far you’ve got with this device, especially if you continued down the 8ms path.
Rod

1 Like