How to make Raspberry Pi 4B a standalone device?

I have an object detection code in OpenCV inside my Raspberry Pi 4B. My setup is Headless setup OS is Raspbian Buster. I want to make my Raspberry boot without a connection to my Laptop and automatically do the object detection?

3 Likes

What exactly do you mean by boot without a connection? How do you intend to turn it on?

Getting it to start doing things on startup is the easy part:

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/how-to-run-a-raspberry-pi-program-on-startup/all

3 Likes

What I mean is when I use my Raspberry Pi I always connect it to a Laptop first. I want to run my code without connecting it to a laptop and powering my raspberry pi via batteries instead of the standard way to power it.

3 Likes

Hi Harold,

Raspberry Pi programs can be run on start up based on this article or this.

These links will help with the battery powering.

Here is a link of search results from this forum regarding LiPo battery
https://forum.core-electronics.com.au/search?q=lipo

Basically you would need a PiJuice hat or Battery Shim, a decent capacity battery to suit your runtime and a spare or a battery charger that would charge the batteries connected to a power source or a Solar panel. Someone from Core should be able to help you regarding the items available currently.

G

4 Likes

I’m not sure what you mean when you say you connect it to your laptop. A Raspberry Pi is a standalone computer, so that’s like saying ‘I always connect my computer to my computer first, but I want to use my computer without connecting it to my computer’.

How do you connect it to your computer?

3 Likes

I connect it through ethernet for SSH because I’m using a headless setup. Lets put it this way, I don’t want to use the Raspberry as a computer instead I want to use it as an object detection device.

1 Like

Hi Harold,

Since you’re running a headless OS (I assume Raspberry Pi OS Lite), you’re already about as pared-down as you can get without delving into embedded methods.

Could you elaborate a little on what functionality you have, and what functionality you want?

-James

2 Likes

if you are running headless and you want to be able to connect to it…
use a wf-fi board . control it via that system ssh over wi-fi…an .udsb dongle on your laptop/p.c…etc you can use the command line via a putty program…is this what your asking…??? im not shure either…

the putty program should be able to link up to the dongle directly , and not bother your laptop normal running… you should also be able to get updates into your headless unit via the putty program which should have internet available to it … since putty is on your laptop you should have the web available …

2 Likes

I am using Raspbian Buster version. My device should have object detection with Text to speech feature. That’s all good sir. Thank you

1 Like

Hi Harold,

That should be doable, check out Tim’s guide on object recognition:

Were you looking to get it saying object names aloud? If so, you’re not the first!

I made another post on that thread talking about how to grab the list of objects it found:

From there, you’ll just need to pick a TTS option, gTTS seems popular:

Or if you’re after something self contained:

-James

4 Likes

Woww thank you Sir. After that I am doing a proposal that will turn it into an assistive device with visual impairment so I need to make it like a device that can function anywhere. Any idea how can i do that?

3 Likes

Hi Harold,

Were you meaning battery-powered? What kind of user interface have you got in mind? Tactile buttons, haptic feedback? Do you have a napkin sketch of what you want your device to look like?

With that in mind, we can come up with better part recommendations :slight_smile:
-James

2 Likes