How to Stress Test Temperature on Raspberry Pi (Stressberry)

Okay, I’ve been fooling around with my Pi 4/4GB for a few weeks now. Again… (I’ve had it on the bench for a couple of years, since the Pi4 came out). Always wanting more, I found this great site’s tutorial/s on overclocking and this stress-testing page. Great Stuff!!

Anyway - here are a couple of the PNG’s from two tests. Same setup except that the first one was done with the fan running on a fixed 5 Volts, and the more recent one is using a Python PWM script I found online ( HERE.

I have a Geekworm aluminum heatsink and also their SSD mount (w/ 240 GB Kingston) and UPS V 2.1, along with a header breakout board. I’m using a simple MOSFET module to control the fan’s 12 Volts. I did modify the above link’s script a bit, adjusting it’s responses to better suit me. I’m not done with that, but it’s alright for now. The biggest thing, though, is that instead of the 25 Hertz PWM rate in the author’s script, after testing, I made mine 5000 Hertz (5 KiloHertz). The fan is much more responsive.

I am overclocked to 2 MHz, 750 KHz gpu, and overvolted to “0”. It’s 100% reliable, and far faster and more responsive than it has any right to be!

I’m also including a couple of pictures of my (almost always temporary) current setup: a Noctua 92mm 12V fan wrapped in my shroud made of roof flashing aluminum sheet. It’s only 0,5 mm (0.020 in) thick, you can cut it with kitchen shears if that’s all you have, it’s cheap, and you can often pick up scraps for free at home building sites (ask first!).

***** I live in the country and have satellite Internet, and we’re in the middle of our first Spring thunderstorm, so I’ll have to come back later to upload more pictures.

BDH

2 Likes

Hi all
Just ran the stressberry on a Raspberry Pi4 2Gb that is in this case

Ambient temp 16 C (it’s Melbourne :cold_face:)
Raspberry Pi - Max temp 55C, Clock always 1800MHz

I like no moving parts !

3 Likes