I aiming to do this using your coding technology- Micro:bit Light and UV Sensor to add to a waterproof wristband so that it can be used to keep people sun-safe.

Hi, My name is Rachel and I am currently in year 12 and am in the middle of completing research for my Design and Technology Major Work. I am assessing the potential for a wristband that could help reduce skin cancer by notifying its user when to apply/ reapply sunscreen.

I aiming to do this using your coding technology- Micro:bit Light and UV Sensor to add to a waterproof wristband so that it can be used to keep people sun-safe.

Would you please be able to assist me by providing me with your insights about the science behind uv sensors and the purpose they serve. Could you also please let me know if you think there is a better way/ piece of technology I could use to test this.

Thanks

3 Likes

Hi Rachel,

We’ve got a tutorial all about sensing light and UV using the Micro:bit board so I’d say that would be a great place to start.

Some sensors will measure the UV directly whereas others will infer the UV level from the light level without measuring UV directly.

If the aim is just to measure how much sun exposure people are getting a light sensor may be sufficient but might get a bit confused when someone is indoors with a ceiling light on. Sensors that don’t directly measure UV do tend to be a lot cheaper and more widely available.

1 Like