Identifying a blown capacitor on a Braemar module

Hi all,

I’m trying to identify a blown capacitor on a Braemar SPI module 614502.
Please see image below:

Thanks,
Tamir

Just realised this is possibly a varistor, not capacitor.

Hi Tamir
What happened. Looks like a lightning strike. Just going by the proximity to the fuse and inductors it looks like a part of the 240VAC mains filter and is more likely to be a MOV (Metal Oxide Varistor) than a capacitor.
Quick look at Google suggests you can get replacement or change over boards which would be the better option as you have no idea what other damage has been done.

If you are asking this question do you know enough about it to be self repairing. From the Google hits I assume this is some sort of gas heater. Can be quite dangerous. A couple of years ago a guy just down the street from me almost blew the front out of his house while trying to muck around with a gas heater. He was lucky to escape with minor burns.
Cheers and be careful. Bob

1 Like

Thanks Robert,

I appreciate your concern. Yes I realised it was a varistor after posting. Looks like the fuse and the varistor are all that’s damaged. And I have no issue replacing the components myself, but since I can’t identify it, I won’t take the risk of installing an incorrect one, and will send the module to be swapped.

Thanks,
Tamir

I think that is the sensible approach. Not all component damage is visible. Half the semiconductors on the board could be faulty without being visibly damaged.
I wonder what happened? Those MOVs take a bit of exploding and that fuse went off big time. They don’t often destroy the glass tube like that.
Google the make and type number and you will get many hits.
Cheers Bob

1 Like