Lego sorter/weigher

Hi All,

One of my other hobbies is building Lego. I’ve got over 10kg to sort and I’d like to build something to do it for me.

When I’m sorting by hand I use a multi pass approach, starting with size (using one of these LEGO storage: LEGO sort & store head) then break it down further in to piece type.

In line with this I’m thinking of sorting by weight. They are mostly all the same type of plastic, so bigger parts weigh more. If I can get parts to come through one at a time I could then weigh them and then do direct it based on the weight (set a servo or other actuator to position the output based on a range of expected weights. I can also get a database of piece weights, e.g. a 1x1 round tile is 0.11g and a 2x2 brick is 1.35g

This all means I need a load cell that can detect things in the 0.1g to 5g range but has an accuracy of about 0.01g. Being able to go lower and greater accuracy would be great, but that’s probably the minimum of what I need.

If/when I get this working I’m also thinking of something that sorts identical parts by color, swap out the load cell for an RGB sensor.

Why I don’t want to do image/object recognition.
There are lots of projects out there that sort using image recognition, but I’d rather not based on the following reasons because:

1. there are so many different parts and the training dataset is huge, also many different parts can look the same if viewed from certain angles.
  2. you have to get the lighting just right
  3. the different colors and prints complicate things further
  4. given the huge number of different parts, I’m not going to be able to have a bin for each part even if I recognize them.
3 Likes

Hey Doug,

I’d check out this load cell: Mini Load Cell - 100g, Straight Bar (TAL221) | Sparkfun SEN-14727 | Core Electronics Australia
In terms of the accuracy that comes down to the amplifier you are using.

This topic covers it in-depth - What is the measurement resolution of my load cell? - Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange

The HX711 offers a 24-bit ADC, though with noise and other factors the usable range would drop a few bits - definitely worth a try though!
PS: I’d check out the Factory Ep featuring load cells: The Factory | Testing Load Cell ADC Performance - YouTube

Fair call on the image recognition, that rabbit hole would certainly get deep quickly!
I’m keen to see how you go!

Liam

4 Likes

Hi Liam, thanks for that. Would an amplifier like SparkFun Load Cell Amplifier - HX711 | SEN-13879 | Core Electronics Australia be what I need?

3 Likes

Hi Doug,

You’re dead right, that board is what you need. Just make sure that you have a HX711 library lined up for your development platform (Arduino, Pi Pico etc.)

Let us know if you have more questions :slight_smile:
-James

2 Likes

This is a lego sorter project. You can see it Mechatronics Project: Lego Sorter : 7 Steps (with Pictures) - Instructables

Thanks for the link, not quite what I’m after, but interesting :slight_smile:

2 Likes