Liquid Solenoid in humid wet area - Green House Misting System

I’m setting up an automated misting system in my greenhouse and need a liquid solenoid to supply and cut the water supply from the pump.
I am looking at the 12v Brass Liquid Solenoid Valve Brass Liquid Solenoid Valve - 12V - 1/2 NPS Australia?
As the greenhouse is a high humidity and wet environment, is this valve water sealed externally?

I will be connecting it to a temperature activated power socket via 5V DC 2A Fixed 2.1mm Tip Appliance Plugpack Australia (is this enough amp for the valve??)
and DC Barrel Jack Adapter - Female Australia
so will have a cover box to protect the sockets from water, however where the solenoid will be located will be difficult to cover.
Thanks.

1 Like

Hi Josh,

Thanks for making a post on our forum! :partying_face:

What you’re after is the IP (ingress protection) code for the solenoid to be able to determine it’s lifetime through exposure to rain/dust

Unfortunately, it doesn’t appear that these parts from Adafruit have one. I’d highly recommend trying to seal it with silicone, foam, or similar to ensure that there’s no way that the steel components of this solenoid will rust away exposed to an environment such as that for an extended period of time.

However, depending on the requirements for your misting system, you may be able to get away with using a plastic solenoid instead, it should be much easier to put together a housing to prevent this from being damaged by your humid environment, but personally, I’d say your project should last quite a while with either valve although there are no official ratings supplied I could find for either of these valves to be able to confirm that.

All the best with your project! Make sure to send us some pictures here to show us how you go :smile:

Hi Josh.
Does the solenoid have to go inside the greenhouse?
I notice you have a power socket which I assume to be in fairly close proximity. If the environment is that wet is this a good idea.
Cheers Bob

1 Like

Hi Bob, The water pipe is already run inside through concrete slab. I haven’t installed the power point yet so I can mount it in a weatherproof box either inside or on the external wall of the green house just near the tap and run the solenoid wires through a small hole in the wall to it. (it’s a 3x4m polycarb metal frame greenhouse).
The misting system is “supposed to” create such a fine mist that the droplets evaporate in suspension cooling the air and increasing humidity, however I’m sure there will be times on super hot summer days that the mister will be running long enough that some of that will reach the ground. And then there’s the humidity causing condensation. If the solenoid is outside the green house then it would be subject to heavy rain etc. I will see if I can make a tupperware cover box for the solenoid and just monitor condensation forming on the inside.