LoPy4 and PyGate Order

We are looking at ordering the components below. Will be battery powered and deployed outdoors. Intent is to send commands from our cloud via TTN/LoRa gateway to LoPy4 endpoint to drive relays and 9v solenoids. Also use spare ADC/GPI pins for sensor input. Please let me know if I missed anything with the PyCom order. Battery, power supply and enclosure suggestions welcome.

2 x Pycom LoPy4 (LoRaWAN) | Core Electronics Australia
1 x Pycom Expansion Board 3.1 | Core Electronics Australia
1x Pycom Pygate | Core Electronics Australia
2 x Pycom LoRa & Sigfox Antenna Kit | Core Electronics Australia (1 each for LoPy4 and PyGate)

3 Likes

Hi Clint,

It looks like you have the basics for a Pycom setup ready to go!
As long as you have a micro USB cable capable of data-transfer, plus your sensors, batteries and relays you should be all good!

Since the expansion board features a JST-PH connector for LiPo’s and an onboard charging IC you could opt to charge through a regulated 5V source.
I’ve always designed my own enclosures in CAD and 3D printed them, there are a range of waterproof/IP rated enclosures on the store that might suit your project though :smiley:

Liam

2 Likes

Thanks Liam

Any advice regarding 3D printing of enclosures would be useful.

We are looking at replacing our current LoRa node offering and standardising on the PyCom products if they test as being fit for purchase.

When you have a chance feel free to check out our website and offer up anything you think we could use to enhance our offerings. Also happy if you refer anyone to us that is looking for IoT solutions and/or services

Regards

2 Likes

Hi Clint,

What is your website?

I imagine a lot of people on the forum are keen to see what you are making, though are the crown to DIY there own devices :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Clint,

My best advice for anything connecting to the PCB is to start with a rough model of the PCB itself. This will let you build clearances, ect - be sure to account for the through-hole parts sticking out the bottom, 2mm standoffs are a safe call :smiley:

I’ve only ever made quick prototyping base plates and indoor enclosures to make sure nothing shorts (the metal rulers occasionally bust a board).

Liam.

Thanks Liam

Our website is connectiva.com.au.

Clint

Hi Liam
With the Pycom Expansion board we want to be able to power 5v sensors etc. Do you know if the 5V is available if it is powered by the battery and the USB is disconnected?
Thanks

1 Like

Hi Clint,

Unfortunately a schematic isnt available for the LoP4 so that information would have to be found through experimentation. Typically the 5V rail is used as an input on IOT devices so my intuition says that you wont have 5V handy.

You could use a 5V boost regulator (or buck if your battery is above 5V).
Liam