Lulzbot TAZ 6 3D Printer (CE04373)

This is a placeholder topic for “Lulzbot TAZ 6 3D Printer” comments.

The LulzBot® TAZ 6 is the most reliable, easiest-to-use desktop 3D printer ever, featuring innovative self-leveling and self-cleaning, and a modular tool head design for flexible and multimaterial upgrades. This 3D printer is able to facilitate more consistent, higher-quality prints than ever.

Read more

I am new to 3D printing but am interested in Lulzbot TAZ 6 printer. does it come out of the box with sample filament or do I need to purchase a roll at the time of purchasing the printer. Also I am wanting to make parts with a relatively hard/stiff plastic. Can you please advise what would be best for my purpose?

I forgot to ask. Does the printer come with software that I can design the 3d model in? I am experienced with AutoCAD do these softwares operate similar?

For the printer I got, it only comes with 3-D software to load/manage print jobs. Why not go to the vendor web page for the printer you are interested in and see what offerings they have.

I use FreeCad and it works well. I generate STL files and then load them into the software that I got with my 3-D Printer.

So long as you can generate an STL file (And I’m sure AutoCad can do this), you should be fine.

2 Likes

Hi Travis,

The Lulzbot TAZ 6 comes with enough filament to replicate the “Roktopus” sample print. You’ll certainly want to grab some extra filament though. Our $37/kg 3mm ABS/PLA reels are the best value.

My tip - grab one reel of ABS and PLA. That way you have one of each popular material type to start with.

Hey Travis,

First off, I’d recommend you take a look at our 3D printing tutorials, written with the Lulzbot ecosystem in mind.

Moving on from there, the software Lulzbot recommends is Cura, a print manager and slicer, which takes your models and slices them into g-code for your printer to manage. We have also written some tutorial content for Cura that delves a little deeper into this process.

As for model design, the file format the Lulzbot printers use is either an STL or OBJ file. Essentially, if your CAD software can export models as either of those formats. You should be able to load them into Cura and slice them for printing.

Great 3D printer.

This 3D printer will be very easy to setup and get working for the novice and yes the youtube video’s showing the setup are true.

Core Electronics was a very good supplier and Graham and his team was good to talk to very helpful.

The only down size on this 3D printer is that it uses 3mm filament.

Regards

Paul
Proud owner of a TAZ 6

2 Likes

Thanks Paul.

3mm filament has its benefits; material size imperfections have notably less impact then 1.75mm filament. And since when is quality not important with every print you do!?

All the best with your 3D printing projects!

Thanks for the great review Paul, I’m glad you found the setup process as easy as we did!

Just on filaments, I have seen some people over on Lulzbot’s official forums printing with 1.75mm filaments and their prints come up looking great! No changes required hardware-wise; just a change of the filament size option in Cura. Might be worth a look if you have a bunch of 1.75mm filament laying around :slight_smile:

Hey

Just wondering about your warranty policy is on your LULZBOT TAZ 6’s

Heyo,

It’s pretty straight forward, though we’ve made a guide that dives into the moving parts here