TAZ6 & WHITE PLA FILAMENT 1KG 3MM CE00116 issue

I am having an issue with TAZ6 & WHITE PLA FILAMENT 1KG 3MM CE00116.
The part I an trying to print has a 0.2mm thick layer.
This seems to print quite coarse and has perforations in it.
The nGen sample material supplied with the TAZ6 seemed to have a smoother texture.
Is your PLA the correct material? What would be best settings?
See attached files
audio_test_02.stl (7.1 KB)

Hey Nadish, 3mm PLA prints fantastically on the Lulzbot machines. I see you have entered the full settings window for that filament, just to clarify are you using the quick print profile for PLA or were you altering the full settings in Cura?

Aidan,
We are using the full settings.
Are you suggesting we use a preset?
If yes, which one?
If no, please give full CURA settings.

Hey Nadish, go ahead back to the Preset settings and try out the “PLA (eSun)” quick print profile (you might have to select All filaments from the ease of use drop down box).

Try that out and see if you can get your print working using the quick print profile. If you have success, make alterations to that profile to fine tune your print. Cura makes it quite easy to do this as when you swap to full settings with a profile selected, you will import that profile’s settings.

It will make the whole process a whole bunch easier for you, this time and later on. Let me know how you get on with it.

Hi Nadish,

Bear in mind that there is a setting for the top/bottom layer thickness that will compromise your 0.2mm height. Thicker bottom layers will always adhere better, so if you are tuning this down manually, then I’d recommend taking the Flow Rate down with it. Perhaps as low as 30-40%. There would be some experimenting involved, alas, Cura gives you full control for finicky situations such as this which is always handy. Bear in mind this print might actually work better on it’s side. A few options to try, let us know how you get on.

Aidan, Is there a small free .STL you can recommend I use as a test object to test various filaments?

1 Like

Hey Nadish, Graham made some great points up above that are worth some consideration. As far as an STL file goes. I like to use small 2mm-5mm walled cubes or cylinders from Fusion 360 to ensure my filament is working as I’d expect. Something like this would be suitable.

How did things pan out Nadish?

Aidan, thanks for chatting on the phone. You cleared up a lot of subtle details that I wasn’t aware of.
After purging the head thoroughly, the PLA worked fine using the PLA ESUN settings.

Next step is to test the ABS settings.
Thanks for the great support!!!

1 Like

No worries at all Nadish, thanks for getting in touch! We are glad you are back on track with your Taz 6. For anyone following a similar issue, we resolved it by:

1. Ensured the tool head was up to the correct temperature for printing with PLA (Nadish was using PLA 3mm Filament)
  2. Purged the tool head with some filament, process outlined in this tutorial
  3. Doing a calibration test cube print using the PLA quick print profile. .STL file can be made easily (5mm walls 10-20mm tall) on CAD software or downloaded here
1 Like

I noticed that on Thu 23/02/2017 you put out a newsletter indicating “I am reaching out to people that have purchased a Lulzbot printer from us in the past as we’re noticing a couple of people using Filaform PLA and running into issues. Filaform PLA has a very low heat tolerance and is not well suited for Lulzbot toolheads”

The Filaform product has caused me no end of dramas and I’d appreciate a credit & replacement.

Hi Nadish,

Shoot an email through to support@core-electronics.com.au and we can take a look at that for you.