Micro SD Card Extender - 68cm (26 inch) long cable (ADA3688)

This is a placeholder topic for “Micro SD Card Extender - 68cm (26 inch) long cable” comments.

Stop fiddling with SD card sockets in the back of your latest gadget, and streeeeeeeeeetch out with a Micro SD Card Extender . This simple, but effective device … read more

Read more

Great idea, but cannot remove and replace the card without replacing the sd card adapter in the socket on the PC or mac. A fix is reported to remove the 513 Resistor, but there isn’t one, the pads are empty. Any ideas?!

2 Likes

after you removed and reinserted the sd-card dir you try go into the hardware manager and look at trying to find the sd card by re-scan devices
in windows you can do it via device manager up the top of the device manager right click on the top of the list and you should see re scan devices hit that…now do you see your media…

i am no mac… expert but there must be either at at command prompt code to re scan the devices…

also did you do a software eject of the device at first …basis being on a windows machine …but the theory’s should be the same…!!

from mem if you open a console and try find the device in the /dev directory

often the trouble is when you remove a disk the port becomes listed to the machine as “offline” the entire port /device has been removed…thus it is not visible unless a restart of the devices is issued…there are commands to restart the service …look up the web …

Hi Brian

TY for responding

Happens both on Mac and PC

On Mac I would of course unmount the drive first but then it would not remount, so that’s your answer to the software eject question.

I am fully aware bout commands to restart the service. I just think that most people buying such a device will assume that they are getting something that will allow you to unplug and replug in a card at will much as is done nowadays with most USB drives.

If I have to start fiddling around restarting bits and pieces using command prompt instructions then I might as well crawl behind the machine and reinsert the sd card at the back of the machine!

Regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Sounds like your SD card reader has a few too many smarts. Some readers have a mechanical switch in them to detect a card being inserted/removed and they use that to know when to start reading a new card. Here’s a stackoverflow thread about this issue and how to get around it (although it’s probably too involved)

Sorry the reader isn’t living up to your expectations, I’ve had readers without switches mount and unmount to my heart’s content.

-James

Thanks James

Certainly I am not complaining!

Just drawing my issues to attention of others and further research reveals that I am not alone!

Thanks for the link!

Andrew

2 Likes

try assign it a drive letter to the media via computer management…!!!

I’ve just placed an order.

I have a complicated Raspberry Pi “deck” controller housed in a Bunnings power board box. I made the mistake of trying to upgrade from Jesse to Buster when everything was working. Even when I unwired everything and took the assembly into my office it was a pain swapping the SD cards in and out because the Pi is at the foundation level.

I have replaced all of my Arduino devices because with a Pi you can update via ssh. In most cases I can swap SD cards if necessary. For my “deck” controller it makes sense to use the SD card extender to make it possible to swap SD cards without removing 30 wires, removing the module then later reconnecting all of those wires.

I do believe in the extender approach and will provide an update after I’ve used it.

1 Like

well i can say that these type of units in general not being specific to any of the particular units at hand…have issues from the past …i am speaking in general…hope your project works out …for the best

I’ve received the 2 extenders I ordered. I’ve tested using an extender to connect a few micro SD cards to a USB cable and the cards are recognised immediately by my desktop computer. Handy gadget.

2 Likes