Multicomp Pro MP710086 Linear DC Power Supply

Hi Good Afternoon

Requirements:
I require a Linear Digital Power Supply rated at 30V/10A, I am write a program in Python Language using SCPI commands.
I had shortlisted the Multi MP710086 Bench Power Supply.

Element14 Link:
https://tinyurl.com/yefb3e5e

Budget:
Aust Dollar 200.00

Concerns:
Feedback from Supplier - Element14 regarding the Multi MP710086, Chinese technical supplier cannot confirm yet if the USB interface does indeed work with full SCPI commands.

Questions:
Any experience with this Multi MP710086 Digital PSU
Any other similar Brand/Model that fits my requirements
Any idea if can hand build a cheap Power Supply and convert it to a Digital Power Supply using SCPI Commands

Thanks & Best Regards

1 Like

That looks like a pretty good buy to be honest. Why does it have to be SCPI? That thing’s got a serial interface and is programmable. It’s probably a relatively simple communication protocol that wouldn’t take too long to reverse engineer if you really wanted to - personally I’d take it.

Else, you’re going to have to spend a lot more than $200 to get a 30V, 10A Linear supply with confirmed SCPI commands.

When it comes to bench supplies it’s: Linear, High Power, Cheap - pick any two.

Something like a Rigol DP-811 meets your tech specs - and they’re around $1,000. You’re either going to have to reign in your technical requirements, or open your wallet.

Edit: I had a look on Gumtree and eBay, no luck there on the secondhand market either. Maybe you can get lucky and find a university that’s replacing their lab supplies or something.

1 Like

Last time I looked (about 5 mins ago) this supply was 5A.
Cheers Bob

2 Likes

Good Day
I hope someone with expertise on how linear dc power supplies with SCPI interface operate can describe how to reverse engineer.
Thanks

Good Day
I hope someone with expertise on how linear dc power supplies with SCPI interface operate can describe how to reverse engineer in parts.
Thanks

1 Like

Conceptually it’s pretty easy. Hook up a logic analyzer, send it a command and see what it spits back - rinse and repeat until you’ve mapped everything out, then write a program to interpret the communication.

This looks like a handy series of articles:

And here’s a cheap logic analyzer:

Hi Sir

I am very grate full for your feedback.

Many Thanks & Best Regards

1 Like

Hi Good Day

Re: Raspberry Pi Pico controlled Linear DC Power Supply

Apologize for the changes but after some web searches the Raspberry Pi Pico seems a better option as I can write Python directly into it.

The challenge now is to look for a link with explanations on Hardware, Circuits, Interfaces into any ready made Linear DC Power Supply.

Next a working Python Software.

Thanks & Best Regards.

1 Like